Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
- Noire Miami’s weekend guide for things to do in South Florida during the holiday weekend
- Noire Miami weekend guide: Natural Hair Expo, Nicole Henry Holiday Concert, Black Male Revisited, and more
- From Miami to the United Arab Emirates, A Cultural Experience
- Noire Miami recaps Art Basel 2013
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 3: The mega list of all the parties
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 2: Live music events for a Hip Hop Art Basel vibe
- Noire Miami’s Ultimate Black Basel guide – Part 1: Black exhibits to check out during Art Basel 2013
- Miami Reggae Festival serves up international reggae from across the globe
- Rick Ross wraps up 'Mastermind' tour Saturday at James L. Knight Center
- Art of Transformation, Cash Mob Noir, and other things to do in South Florida Nov 15 - Nov 18