Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Distinguished Gentlemen event, Sundays at the Bay, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Soca Reggae Unity party, Soul Centric Miami, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Rakim performing live, Jamaica Independance party and more
- Miami Soul Travel Series: Luxury Travel Tips from Arabia Escapes
- Love Life and the 411 for August 2014
- Miami Soul on the Scene: VJMedia Mixology with South Florida's Tastemakers and Lifestyle Influencers
- Miami Soul weekend guide: For those weekends when you just want a lounge experience
- Soul of South Florida: Vanessa James
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Sebastian Mikael at Ron Day Vu Day Party, Raheem Devaughn at Overtown Music Festival, and more
- Little Haiti's Caribbean Marketplace Reopens