Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Tis the season for holiday parties
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Diner En Blanc Miami Debut
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Remy Rendezvous Art Basel yacht party
- Miami Soul Ultimate Black Basel Guide - Part 2: The party guide for Art Basel 2014
- Miami Soul Ultimate Black Basel Guide - Part 1: Soul Basel, Art Africa, Fusion MIA, and more at Art Basel 2014
- Miami Soul: Ultra chic pop-up dining, Diner en Blanc, makes Miami debut
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Reggae Fest, The Reggae Social, and more events
- 3rd Annual Art of Transformation: A series of artistic events celebrating the revitalization of Opa-locka
- Miami Soul on the Scene: Oprah's The Life You Want weekend & Covergirl Breakfast Power Meetup
- Emeline Michel holds benefit concert to benefit school in Haiti