Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
- Miami Soul 2016 Black History Month events and celebrations around South Florida
- Miami Soul: Florida Memorial University's Homecoming lineup featuring T.I. in concert, tailgating, and more
- Miami International Boat Show celebrates 75th Anniversary bigger & better February 11-15
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Live jazz, beer tastings, and other things to do in South Florida Jan 28 - Jan 31
- GastroWars Knife-Fight Competition & Craft Beer Pairings
- Martin Luther King, Jr Day celebration events and Day of Service projects throughout South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Zo's Winter Groove, Big Night in Little Haiti, Wine & Reggae Festival and more
- Florida Grand Opera debuts rarely-performed opera, Bellini’s Norma
- iPic Theaters opens in North Miami Beach for luxury movie going experience
- Funk Fest kicks off the New Year with live performances by Fantasia, New Edition, Doug E. Fresh and more