Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
Are you an eligible black single?
We want to hear from you. Click here.
- Miami Soul: Part 3 - Ultimate Miami Art Week Exhibit, Party, and Event Guide
- Miami Soul 4th Annual Ultimate Soul Basel Guide - Part 2: Parties and Event Guide
- Miami Soul 4th Annual Ultimate Soul Basel Guide - Part 1: Black exhibits to check out during Miami Art Week 2016
- Miami Soul Thanksgiving Edition: Jazz at MOCA, Lloyd performing live, Grits and Soul Brunch Series, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afrikin Fest, NiteCap NEXT, Simply Wordz Spoken Word Dinner Party, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Jill Scott’s Words & Sounds, Slick Rick live, Uptown Avenue 7 Art Bazaar, and more
- Miami Soul: Election Night watch parties to check out
- Miami Gardens Wine & Food Experience returns with celebrity Chefs G. Garvin & Marcus Samuelsson
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Day la Soul 90's Jam, Girl Power Gospel Brunch, Big Night in Little Haiti and more
- Miami Soul Halloween Weekend Going Out Guide