Jamaica’s 51st Independence and Cultural Celebration
Tell us what gift would you send the country that gave the world Bob Marley, ganja, Usain Bolt and Marcus Garvey
What sort of anniversary gift do you give a country that gave us the world famous musician Bob Marley, world’s fastest man Usain Bolt and internationally acclaimed political leader Marcus Garvey? Not to mention, inserted dreadlocks and ganja into global pop culture. Jamaica, which is slightly smaller than the state of Connecticut, celebrates its 51st year of Independence from British rule on Aug. 6. And, while we could never afford a gift quite grand enough (times are tough in journalism these days) we are wondering: If we in fact could afford to send an anniversary gift to Jamaica, what would make a great gift?
In lieu of funds, we’ll join locals as they wave the Jamaican flag and wind it up on Sunday, Aug. 4, at the Miramar Regional Park (16801 Miramar Parkway) where music, games, crafts, vendors and performances by Roy Rayon, Latty Guzang, Nikesha Lindo and more will entertain from 2 to 10 p.m.
Cost is $5, advance; $12, door. For more information call 954-394-0758 or 954-251-1643
- Unplug & Reconnect on a Staycation Getaway in The Palm Beaches
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Miami Under 40 Mixer, African Wardrobe Festival, Black & White Affair, and more
- The American Black Film Festival Returns to Miami
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Afro Roots World Music Festival, The Man in 3B film screening, Wynwood Art Walk
- National Black Chamber of Commerce Annual Conference featuring Business Leaders, Celebrities
- Miami Soul giveaway: Exclusive Invitation for “The Man in 3B” Red Carpet Film Screening
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kindred the Family Soul, YPN Broward Day Party, Miami Under 40 Networking, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Questlove spin session, House Party 25th Anniversary party, Mellow Dramatic Mondays
- Miami Soul: 5th Annual Overtown Music & Arts Festival featuring Raheem Devaughn, Melanie Fiona, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Big Night in Little Haiti, Pines Food & Wine Festival, South Florida Book Festival and more