Is local the next top model?
New cycle airs Wednesday
Angelia Alvarez wants to earn her wings. The Pembroke Pines resident, 20, is getting closer to her dream of being a Victoria’s Secret Angel. The 5’ 10’’ stunner is a competitor in the 16th cycle of CW’s America’s Next Top Model, airing 8 p.m.Wednesday. “This is something every girl wants, and I got it,’’ says Alvarez.
“Things are going the way I wanted them to. I’m living my dream now.’’ Getting onto ANTM was a breeze. Angelia had her 11-year-old niece take pictures of her out on the balcony, then developed the shots at Walgreens and sent them in. A few weeks later, producers called. Being on the actual show wasn’t such a cinch. Though contestants can’t go into details, clips reveal some of the wacky challenges, which include trying to “catwalk’’ inside a balloon in a pool and striking a pose around angry bees.
The pain and suffering will be all worthwhile, though, if Angelia wins the prize: two contracts – one with IMG Models, the other CoverGirl – plus a fashion spread in Vogue Italia. And the ultimate goal? Getting into the Victoria’s Secret catalog. “I want to be like Alessandra Ambrosio,’’ says the Charles W. Flanagan High School grad, who is studying marine biology at Broward College. “She’s so sexy and exotic.’’ Doesn’t seem like such a stretch. Angelia is, too. Born in Germany to an American mom and Dominican dad, she has sultry looks and a slamming body. And Alvarez actually likes to exercise. We’re talking at least 30 minutes of cardio each day, be it running with her 2-year-old pitbull Mia or rollerblading by the beach. “It makes me feel good and gives me energy,’’ says the model, who is single. “I’m addicted – but in a good way!’’
On Our Radar
- Telenovela hunk William Levy hits the big screen
- Local Bachelor Juan Pablo takes it slow
- Supermodel Nina Agdal to make in store appearance
- Rumor mill: Shakira switches brokers midstream
- Local cake makers get reality show, 'Divas del Azucar'
- Wilmer Valderrama will judge Calle Ocho fashion show
- John Turturro to be honored at MIFF
- Cadillac V-series Challenge puts pro golfers, VIPs on the fast track at Homestead-Miami Speedway
- Oprah's Fisher Island home sells again
- Shirley MacLaine to appear at Miami International Film Fest