Is local the next top model?
New cycle airs Wednesday
Angelia Alvarez wants to earn her wings. The Pembroke Pines resident, 20, is getting closer to her dream of being a Victoria’s Secret Angel. The 5’ 10’’ stunner is a competitor in the 16th cycle of CW’s America’s Next Top Model, airing 8 p.m.Wednesday. “This is something every girl wants, and I got it,’’ says Alvarez.
“Things are going the way I wanted them to. I’m living my dream now.’’ Getting onto ANTM was a breeze. Angelia had her 11-year-old niece take pictures of her out on the balcony, then developed the shots at Walgreens and sent them in. A few weeks later, producers called. Being on the actual show wasn’t such a cinch. Though contestants can’t go into details, clips reveal some of the wacky challenges, which include trying to “catwalk’’ inside a balloon in a pool and striking a pose around angry bees.
The pain and suffering will be all worthwhile, though, if Angelia wins the prize: two contracts – one with IMG Models, the other CoverGirl – plus a fashion spread in Vogue Italia. And the ultimate goal? Getting into the Victoria’s Secret catalog. “I want to be like Alessandra Ambrosio,’’ says the Charles W. Flanagan High School grad, who is studying marine biology at Broward College. “She’s so sexy and exotic.’’ Doesn’t seem like such a stretch. Angelia is, too. Born in Germany to an American mom and Dominican dad, she has sultry looks and a slamming body. And Alvarez actually likes to exercise. We’re talking at least 30 minutes of cardio each day, be it running with her 2-year-old pitbull Mia or rollerblading by the beach. “It makes me feel good and gives me energy,’’ says the model, who is single. “I’m addicted – but in a good way!’’
On Our Radar
- Music on Board brings EDM festival to Fort Lauderdale from Brazil
- Fort Lauderdale's Fish Tank Kings returns
- Wild and crazy guy: Steve O in town for shows
- Ben & Jerry’s Free Ice Cream Tasting
- Tax day cometh! Flo Rida pays his bill
- Joanna Krupa puts apartment up for sale
- Former 'Queer Eye' designer Thom Filicia lends his touch to new condo in Edgewater
- Key West company featured on 'The Profit'
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- George Lopez talks 'Saint George' and 'Rio 2'