Want to make it past the marquee at Cameo? Dress to impress, pack a fat wallet and check out our video tour.
By Lesley Abravanel
Dress to impress and pack a fat wallet if you want to make it past the marquee at Cameo, a dirty-disco inspired hotspot on Washington Avenue.
The vibe: This rehabbed movie palace (and former home of Crobar) returned to the scene in 2007 after a major facelift. The revamp has been a stunning success -- just ask the hundreds who crowd the entrance on any given weekend night. DJs spin an edgy mix of throwback tunes and up-to-the-minute dance hits. No visit is complete without a look at Vice, the upstairs area where dancers wriggle on stripper poles to a funky soundtrack of indie, rock, pop and disco.
The crowd: Christina Aguilera and her dancers boogied down here until 5am one night and if you can breach the sea of people outside at the velvet rope, you, too, can sweat it out until the wee hours. Cameo is justly known for celebrity guest hosts -- everyone from sex tape star Kim Kardashian to Hugh Hefner's babes have been known to host a night or two here.
When to go: Cameo is packed on weekend nights and although the party doesnt get started until midnight, it's highly suggested you get there early or else be banished under the marquee.
What to wear: Dress code is typical South Beach, but at Cameo you may be able to get away with a more casual getup. Shorts and sneakers are not allowed. (But you're a female wearing super short shorts and trendy sneakers...well, you already know the rules don't apply to you.)
Vodka tonic index: $13 (More than Mansion, less than Skybar)
You oughta know: Line up early unless you don't mind spending your entire night on the wrong side of the ropes.
- 5 reasons why we’re excited about the new Vagabond Restaurant & Bar
- Minibar app brings wine, spirits, and beer to your door
- Go Drink This: The Pineapple
- Repour craft cocktail bar to open in South Beach's Albion Hotel
- Sunday symphony, saused Flamingos, philanthropic models and a new monthly Edition
- Go Drink This: Ceviche Sour
- Nude male models in Miami! Booze! Art, music and ping pong, too.
- Ultra Music Festival releases Phase 1 of its 2015 lineup
- Go Drink This: New England Sidecar
- Flooring it with YoungArts, Cirque does charity and an art party