Ingrid Betancourt presents her memoir detailing her experience as the FARC's hostage.
When former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt was rescued by Colombian security forces in a covert operation, freeing her after 2,321 days of captivity by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the world waited eagerly to hear her story.
We got bits and pieces of it, but now she recounts her entire version of the events that transpired in the Colombian jungle at the mercy of the FARC in her memoir, 'Even Silence Has an End.' She details her multiple attempts at escape, the conditions in which she and her campaign manager Clara Rojas were forced to live - sleeping on plastic sheets on the ground, being confined to a 'cage', relieving herself in a foul hole in the ground. She discusses being chained to a tree, discovering her father's death while in captivity, missing her two children.
Many Colombians have been anxious to hear her story, especially in light of her bizarre attempt to petition the Colombian government for $6.8 million in damages for her years in captivity - a move that made her appear ungrateful to a government that claims it warned her not to stray into FARC territory and then succesfully rescued her, to say the least. She ultimately withdrew the request.
This Saturday Ingrid discusses her book at the Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus. Tickets are free at Books & Books locations.
Ingrid Betancourt and ``Even Silence Has an End.'' 7:30 p.m. Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE Second Ave., Miami.
See and Do
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6