Ingrid Betancourt presents her memoir detailing her experience as the FARC's hostage.
When former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt was rescued by Colombian security forces in a covert operation, freeing her after 2,321 days of captivity by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the world waited eagerly to hear her story.
We got bits and pieces of it, but now she recounts her entire version of the events that transpired in the Colombian jungle at the mercy of the FARC in her memoir, 'Even Silence Has an End.' She details her multiple attempts at escape, the conditions in which she and her campaign manager Clara Rojas were forced to live - sleeping on plastic sheets on the ground, being confined to a 'cage', relieving herself in a foul hole in the ground. She discusses being chained to a tree, discovering her father's death while in captivity, missing her two children.
Many Colombians have been anxious to hear her story, especially in light of her bizarre attempt to petition the Colombian government for $6.8 million in damages for her years in captivity - a move that made her appear ungrateful to a government that claims it warned her not to stray into FARC territory and then succesfully rescued her, to say the least. She ultimately withdrew the request.
This Saturday Ingrid discusses her book at the Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus. Tickets are free at Books & Books locations.
Ingrid Betancourt and ``Even Silence Has an End.'' 7:30 p.m. Miami Dade College Wolfson Campus, 300 NE Second Ave., Miami.
See and Do
- Instagram photos that prove that Biscayne National Park is a dazzling gem
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Aug 26-28
- 'Star Wars' marathon at the Olympia Theater
- 'Psychic Match' star Deborah Graham talks about finding real love at Books & Books
- Public art to hunt down in Brickell and Downtown
- Surreal dance stories from Cuba
- Comic Iliza Shlesinger to bring her wit and wisdom to West Palm Beach
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Aug. 19-21
- HistoryMiami's Stiltsville Tour is an only-in-Miami experience
- 5 reasons Back-To-School Season in Miami is amazing