IKEA Miami grand opening cheat sheet
Get in line and score some free furniture or gift cards when IKEA Miami opens Wednesday morning
1801 NW 117th Ave., near the Dolphin Mall
Doors open 9 a.m., Wendesday, Aug. 27
IKEA Miami will open its doors Wednesday in Sweetwater, the behemoth Swedish home furnishings retailer’s 39th store in the United States. Under construction for more than a year, the store is IKEA’s largest on the East Coast and its second-largest nationwide, after the one in Schaumburg, Illinois.
Here is a cheat sheat for Wednesday's grand opening.
- IKEA will allow customers to get in line up to 48 hours before the grand opening, under a covered space adjacent to the doors. Portable bathrooms will be provided.
- Cuban coffee will be served beginning at 6 a.m.
- The Swedish, U.S. and Florida flags will be raised at about 8:20 a.m.
- As part of the celebration, Sweetwater Mayor Jose M. Diaz and store manager Selwyn Crittendon will saw a log — a Swedish custom to christen a home, aimed at bringing good luck to the people who live there and to future visitors, Roth said.
- Free stuff: an Ektorp sofa will be awarde for each of the first 39 adults in line, a Poang armchair for the next 100 adults, and a Famnig heart-shaped soft toy for the first 100 children.
- The first 2,500 adults will receive a prize envelope with an IKEA gift card worth $10 to $250 or a “Buy One, Get One Free” voucher for cinnamon buns, hotdogs or frozen yogurt.
- Outdoor furniture will remain on display year-round, and palm trees will be featured among the live plants for sale.
- IKEA’s Swedish meatballs, gravad lax salmon, or 99-cent eggs-bacon-and-hash browns breakfasts will be featured in the 600-seat restaurant. The overhead screens with photos of menu items will show the calorie counts along with the prices — 690 calories for the Swedish meatball dinner, 1,650 for half a rack of baby back ribs with fries and cornbread, 390 for Swedish pancakes and Lingonberry jam.
- Like other IKEA stores, the one in Sweetwater will also offer a Swedish food market, with crispbread, frozen crayfish, salmon, meatballs and pancakes, chocolate bars, sodas, Lingonberry preserves, cookies and other items. Nearby, a bistro will serve 50-cent hot dogs as well as pizza slices, cinnamon buns and frozen yogurt.
- IKEA prides itself on the benefits it gives employees, including tuition assistance, a 401(k) match, bonuses and professional development. The company also recently announced a new “living wage,” pegged to the cost of living in each U.S. location, which goes into effect in January 2015. Sweetwater’s lowest-wage employees, who compose nearly half the staff, will be bumped up to $10.79 from $9.29.
- The Sweetwater store, at 1801 NW 117th Ave., near the Dolphin Mall, will be IKEA’s second in South Florida — after Sunrise, which opened in 2007 — and its fourth in Florida. The others are in Tampa and Orlando.
- Eberjey Sample Sale!
- SoulCycle Opening In Miami
- H&M Opening Another South Florida Store
- Diane von Furstenberg to Visit Books & Books and Aventura Mall
- Art Basel Shopping & Fashion Events Guide
- Hola, Webster Cabana at St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort
- U.S. Polo Assn. Pop-Up Event at University of Miami
- Meet Veronica Beard Designers
- Black Friday and Holiday Season Mall Hours
- Meet ALEXIS Designer