#HowToMiami – Mojito
How to make a Mojito Criollo
Welcome to #HowToMiami, where each month we will provide a DIY video guide about something iconic in Miami.
This month we start with the Mojito Criollo. It’s a refreshing tropical drink originating in Cuba in the early 1930s and is considered the iconic drink of Miami. This classic cocktail is an aromatic staple from Miami Beach nightclubs to the bars of Calle Ocho. In our video above, celebrated bartender Julio Cabrera shows us how to craft the Mojito Criollo using the traditional preparation he learned in Havana (more mint, more sugar, and less muddling).
In future episodes we will tackle the Cuban sandwich, a cafecito, Wynwood and Calle Ocho. If you have suggestions for what you would like to see on #HowToMiami, hit us up on Twitter @Miamicom and use the hashtag #HowToMiami.
HOW WE DID IT
The #HowToMiami video series couldn’t have been done without the help of some very talented people.
Mixologist Julio Cabrera may be Miami’s most decorated bartender, having recently won the United States Bartenders' Guild Bombay Sapphire Most Imaginative Bartender award. This summer, he teamed up with Danny Valdez to create the bar menu for the historic Ball & Chain on Calle Ocho, a live music venue where Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday once serenaded Miamians. Ball & Chain allowed us to shoot video of the bar's forthcoming Mojito Criollo cocktail, featuring the traditional step-by-step preparation Cabrera learned in Havana.
Miami.com video producer Kathy Buccio worked with the talented team from Andromeda Productions, based in Wynwood, to put together the video. From the 3-hour shoot to the many hours of editing and graphics, no detail was left out. Thanks to Emilia Anguita, Dustin Copeland, Chris King, Mike Paradise and Alejandra Huerta.
Below are some behind the scenes shots of the video shoot, courtesy of Elizabeth Renfrow of RA/HAUS photography. Until the next #HowToMiami… Cheers!
Ball & Chain, 1513 SW 8th St., Miami, FL
Danny Valdez, left, and Julio Cabrera.
The Mojito Criollo at Ball & Chain
- Go Drink This: The Pink Lady
- Go Drink This: House-Bottled Pear and Hibiscus Cider
- Miami nightlife impresario Chris Paciello to open Rockwell nightclub in Miami Beach
- Charity cocktailing, tricking out, clam baking, jet setting, swining and dining, and salsa dancing
- Could this be the Best Happy Hour in Miami: American Social in Brickell
- Go Drink This: Lemongrass Collins
- Four Seasons Brickell hosts End of Summer pool party
- Metro Railing, antique spicing, sommelier slamming, straycationing & Blocktoberfesting
- Go Drink This: Jalapeño & Tamarind Pisco Sour
- Cinema, celluloid, flicks, a new babe in Brickell named Marion & Mexican Independence Day