Horsing around with model Paula Chermont
4/21/2011Brazilian fashion icon Paula Chermont’s true passion has nothing to do with catwalks and flashing cameras. A model for such designers as Giorgio Armani, Yves Laurent and La Perla, she’d rather spend her time somewhere a little less glamourous: the stable. On Thursday, Chermont, who has been modeling since her teens, will compete in the AMG Miami Beach Polo Women’s World Cup.An avid equestrian, she rode in show jumping circuits as a young girl. “I started riding horses when I was five years old,” she said via telephone from her home in Rio De Janeiro. “My father loved horses and used to show jump with me. He was my horseback riding companion.” Those years with dad taught her well. Although Chermont has only played polo for five years, she’s considered a natural at the sport “that tends to be male-dominated.” In her native Brazil, she is a crusader of the spectator sport. “In my country everyone is a fan of soccer. I wanted to change that.” In 2007, she formed the Carranca Polo Team, “the first Brazilian women’s team.” Chermont knows polo can be a dangerous game, accentuated by the fact that her partner is a half-ton thoroughbred. “My love for horses is so big, I don’t care about bruises or accidents,” she said. “I like the high adrenaline, excitement and risks.” The South Beach Women’s Polo Cup III takes place 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday. For tickets, go to miamipolo.com. Micaela Hood
On Our Radar
- Mario Chalmers: It's going to be an exciting Miami Heat season
- Spied around Miami: ARod, Katy Perry's ex, Shaq
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules