Holy guacamole: Cantina La Veinte pushes upmarket Mexican food in Miami
First Look at Brickell newcomer Cantina La Veinte.
Cantina La Veinte
495 Brickell Ave., Miami
Hours: Lunch and dinner daily
The what: Another high-end Mexican spot with over-the-top décor, Cantina La Veinte is owned by Mexican hospitality company Cinbersol Group, which plans to open more locations throughout the United States. This is the group's first U.S. outpost.
The space: A cavernous, glamorously decked-out restaurant in the Icon Brickell, across from Cipriani. The 450-seat behemoth is outfitted with Mexican folk art, a black onyx bar with antiqued mirrors and a geometric, pyramid-shaped black-and-gold chandelier. The open kitchen adds to the frenetic energy while an outdoor waterfront patio will be great once the weather cools down.
The music: A live Mariachi band in full regalia. Roaming the dining room. Accepting tips.
The dishes: Mexican small plates from $12 to $23; larger plates from $18 to $70.
The chicharron de rib eye is a bowl of fried steak chunks served with guacamole, while the dobladitas de jaiba suave is a more nuanced presentation of crunchy softshell crab served in shot glasses filled with jalapeño sauce. Tostadas de atun are wonton chips topped with marinated tuna doused with a yellow pepper-lime sauce, and the chile morita are spicy, tempura-battered and fried bites of morita chiles stuffed with goat cheese.
Desserts include an ice cream sampler of dulce de leche, raspberry sorbet, pistachio and other flavors, and a baked wonton with quince paste and blue cheese ice cream.
The Bottom Line: Calling it a “cantina” is an understatement, but this cavernous spot serves Mexican food in a glamorous setting.
- Say 'Opa!' to new Cleo restaurant in the Redbury Hotel in Miami Beach
- Brasserie Central opens its French doors at Merrick Park in Coral Gables
- Stripsteak at the Fontainebleau is the latest in Michael Mina's South Florida mini-empire
- Tamarina puts coastal Italian flavors in downtown Miami
- Ceviche 105 off to a fresh start in South Beach
- Modern Italian bistro Moye opens in Brickell
- Babylon opens gateway to Turkish cuisine in South Beach
- Ironside Pizza is slinging Neapolitan pies in Miami
- Seven Dials gives classic British pub fare a Miami makeover
- Morimoto rolls up to South Beach in style