Ho Wang closes in Surfside; kosher BBQ joint to take its place
Ho Wang opened in 1990 at 9460 Harding Ave.
A reader tipped us off to the recent closing of Ho Wang Chinese restaurant, which opened in 1990 at 9460 Harding Ave. in Surfside.
A kosher barbecue restaurant called The Backyard is set to open in the space. Restaurateur Baruch Sandhaus and his Rare Group (Beyond by Shemtov's, House of Dog, Rare Steakhouse) are the ones behind the concept.
Sandhaus and partner Offy Shifman say they are planning to offer "the most tender cuts of slow-smoked meat and chicken" along with traditional BBQ sides and salads and "the quality and comfort of your own back yard."
As with the group's other restaurants, The Backyard will emphasize its particular style of food, not the fact that it's kosher. "Our restaurant philosophy: They 'just happen to be' kosher," Sandhaus says.
"We are always looking to be different," he says of the project. "Surfside has an abundance of restaurants, but none that really speaks to all walks of life. BBQ speaks all languages."
And the Rare Group will soon add yet another restaurant to Surfside: Sandhaus reports he recently took over the lease at 9555 Harding Ave., currently a French-Italian place called Bistro.
"We are planning a whimsical, gastronomical, chef's-tasting restaurant," he says.
- Miami Beach's Macchialina to open in Asheville
- Fresh American Bistro debuts in Sunny Isles
- The List: Seagrape's Michelle Bernstein
- Pubbelly and Wynwood Brewing Co. to open restaurant, beer bar on cruise ship
- Are these the best restaurants in South Florida?
- La Nuit en Rosé wine festival coming to Miami Beach Edition
- Miami's 15 most anticipated restaurants of 2015
- The List: 50 Eggs' John Kunkel
- The Burgies: Who will be South Florida's 2015 comfort-food champions?
- Southern Italian restaurant Campania opens Wednesday in Miami