HistoryMiami explores Latino contributions to music in 'American Sabor: Latinos in U.S. Popular Music'
HistoryMiami, in collaboration with the Smithsonian Institution, unveils a traveling exhibition exploring the influence of Latin American music and culture on American pop culture.
Opens Wednesday, Aug. 6 through Oct. 26.
HistoryMiami, 101 W. Flagler St., Miami; 305-375-1492, historymiami.org.
A free event for families complete with an instrument “petting zoo” is 1 – 4 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 9.
From Gloria Estefan to Selena to Daddy Yankee and Carlos Santana, Latino recording artists' impact on American culture and the music industry is undeniable and is documented in "American Sabor: Latinos in U.S. Popular Music" on display Aug. 5 through Oct. 26 at HistoryMiami.
"American Sabor: Latinos in U.S. Popular Music" was created by the EMP Museum and the University of Washington and organized for travel by the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service. The exhibit seeks to explore the influence of Latin American music and culture on American pop culture since World War II through interactive elements like guided listening stations and a 15-foot dance floor with a jukebox featuring the sounds of Gloria Estefan and Carlos Santana, alongside exclusive artifacts from Cachao Lopez, the Celia Cruz Estate and Willy Chirino.
The exhibition also examines the Latin music and musicians of San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, San Antonio and Miami, and how each city impacted the artists' development and includes photos of numerous musicians, explanations of the various musical styles and information on the venues that made them popular. Also, guests can listen to the music, dance to the rhythms and mix their own song at American Sabor.
See and Do
- 2016 South Florida Firefighters Calendar hits Miami with two launch parties this weekend
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 28-30
- Regent Cocktail Club in Miami Beach teams up with Bookleggers Mobile Library for cocktail night
- Frost Museum to hold its inaugural Science Art Cinema event
- Mad Cat’s ‘Lazy Fair’ at Miami Theater Center reunites partners in crime
- 15 things to do with the kids in Miami Aug 24-30: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 21-23
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun Aug 17-23
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 14-16