High-end Mexican restaurant Porfirio's opens in South Beach
Same owner is opening Señor Frog's in Miami later this year.
850 Commerce St., Miami Beach
Hours: Lunch and dinner daily
Miami Beach's ever-growing South of Fifth restaurant lineup expands again this week with the Thursday opening of high-end Mexican restaurant Porfirio's.
The restaurant at 850 Commerce St. boasts more than 100 tequilas and mezcals (Don't fret: a Mezcal Concierge can walk you through that list.), available in cocktails or by the bottle, priced from $141 to $806.
On the food side, an extensive menu includes starters like chicarrón quesadillas and pork pozole; a selection of salads, tacos, enchiladas and tortas (the Porfirio's torta with roasted turkey, baked pork leg, breaded beef, chorizo, cheese, avocado and onion is sure to induce a food-coma); as well as steaks, chicken, and seafood entrees like a mixed-grill steak, prawn and octopus cast-iron skillet.
A $25, three-course lunch menu gives diners the option of menu favorites like tuna carnitas, crab taquitos, chicken in mole, chipotle-simmered meatballs, housemade flan and a slice of manchego cheesecake.
This will be the first U.S. outpost of Porfirio's; the original opened in Mexico City in 2012. The space seats 200 inside and 110 outside and is located about a block from Joe's Stone Crab, Estiatorio Milos, Fogo de Chao, Prime Fish and Red the Steakhouse.
Porfirio's is owned by Cancún-based Grupo Anderson's, which also operates Señor Frog's, Harry's Prime Steakhouse, Carlos'n Charlie's and other restaurant brands.
Grupo Anderson's says it plans to open a Señor Frog's in Miami this winter and a Harry's Miami after that. Porfirio's in Miami Beach will be the first of 20 U.S. Porfirio's locations slated to open by 2020.
- The List: Oceanaire's Kareem Anguin
- Miami Beach's Macchialina to open in Asheville
- Fresh American Bistro debuts in Sunny Isles
- The List: Seagrape's Michelle Bernstein
- Pubbelly and Wynwood Brewing Co. to open restaurant, beer bar on cruise ship
- Are these the best restaurants in South Florida?
- La Nuit en Rosé wine festival coming to Miami Beach Edition
- Miami's 15 most anticipated restaurants of 2015
- The List: 50 Eggs' John Kunkel
- The Burgies: Who will be South Florida's 2015 comfort-food champions?