High-end Mexican restaurant Porfirio's opens in South Beach
Same owner is opening Señor Frog's in Miami later this year.
Miami Beach's ever-growing South of Fifth restaurant lineup expands again this week with the Thursday opening of high-end Mexican restaurant Porfirio's.
The restaurant at 850 Commerce St. boasts more than 100 tequilas and mezcals (Don't fret: a Mezcal Concierge can walk you through that list.), available in cocktails or by the bottle, priced from $141 to $806.
On the food side, an extensive menu includes starters like chicarrón quesadillas and pork pozole; a selection of salads, tacos, enchiladas and tortas (the Porfirio's torta with roasted turkey, baked pork leg, breaded beef, chorizo, cheese, avocado and onion is sure to induce a food-coma); as well as steaks, chicken, and seafood entrees like a mixed-grill steak, prawn and octopus cast-iron skillet.
A $25, three-course lunch menu gives diners the option of menu favorites like tuna carnitas, crab taquitos, chicken in mole, chipotle-simmered meatballs, housemade flan and a slice of manchego cheesecake.
This will be the first U.S. outpost of Porfirio's; the original opened in Mexico City in 2012. The space seats 200 inside and 110 outside and is located about a block from Joe's Stone Crab, Estiatorio Milos, Fogo de Chao, Prime Fish and Red the Steakhouse.
Porfirio's is owned by Cancún-based Grupo Anderson's, which also operates Señor Frog's, Harry's Prime Steakhouse, Carlos'n Charlie's and other restaurant brands.
Grupo Anderson's says it plans to open a Señor Frog's in Miami this winter and a Harry's Miami after that. Porfirio's in Miami Beach will be the first of 20 U.S. Porfirio's locations slated to open by 2020.
850 Commerce St., Miami Beach
Hours: Lunch and dinner daily
- Chefs Aaron Brooks, Dena Marino and Jose Mendin collaborate on a one-night only dinner at Four SeasonsOrlando
- The best spots in Miami to celebrate International Sushi Day
- 3D Printed Candy arrives in Miami on June 1 at Dylan’s Candy Bar
- Coral Gables, Dadeland get anticipated new restaurants
- Beer milkshakes are a 'thing' and they're coming to Wynwood
- Brickell Restaurant Week begins today
- COYO Taco opens in Brickell today
- Celeb chef Michelle Bernstein out at Seagrape
- MiMo's The Federal will close for a week, reopen with new name, concept
- Zak the Baker closed, reopens Friday