HGTV’s David Bromstad whips up new Coffee-mate bottle designs
Making coffee and designing bottles
David Bromstad can make his coffee and design the creamer, too.
The HGTV “Color Splash” host decorated the outside of Nestlé’s Coffee-mate French Vanilla and Hazelnut bottles, now sold as part of a limited-edition product run in Target stores this month.
The blue and gold tones synonymous with the non-dairy coffee creamer’s flavors haven’t changed, but Bromstad made sure to add his own designer eye to the branding, despite a limited color palette.
“I actually like limitations,” he said.
Nestlé initially approached Bromstad about the project, which took about a month to design. He drafted around 60 designs, most of them digital. Sometimes, the design didn’t match the bottle, which needed to “wrap around perfectly.”
And, since the bottles would only be on store shelves for a month, he wanted it to stand out aesthetically.
“There is lots to think about, you have to pack a lot of punch into one little bottle,” Bromstad said.
The interior designer admitted that it was a different type of challenge, but he catered to Nestlé, as he would any other client. Using Coffee-mate in the first place may have had something to do with it too.
Bromstad, who lives in Miami Beach, said the coffee creamer is a staple in his house.
Besides coffee, the design star has also expanded his hosting duties. Bromstad is the online host of the new HGTV series “Flipping the Block,” which premiered July 20. On the show, four teams remodel a condo while living amidst the construction.
Bromstad likes having the flexibility to ask the teams questions that normally wouldn’t air on television, but make it online. Personally, he has found out a bit about the business behind the show as well.
“I have actually learned a lot about flipping, too, and a lot about budget,” he said.
Besides an upcoming fall shoe selection with Naturalizer, you can also expect designs fit for travel from him, too. Although mum on the details, Bromstad told us he will have his own luggage line early next year.
On Our Radar
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street
- Orange is the New Black star gets her drink on
- Where to get hurricane updates without a TV
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo at “Before the Flood” screening
- What's closed in Miami because of Hurricane Matthew
- La La Anthony in Miami trying out cocktails
- Mrs Chris Bosh christened sparkling new parking spot