Advice from the fashionista of Wisteria Lane
Tips from the costume designer for the Desperate Housewives - Cate Adair
It's not easy dressing the Desperate Housewives -- Lynette (Felicity Huffman), Bree (Marcia Cross), Gabrielle (Eva Longoria) and Susan (Teri Hatcher) have way different styles. But some costume designer's gotta do it, and that responsibility goes to Cate Adair.
Do you love your job?
``Absolutely! I have an amazing cast of characters to work with. And let's be honest -- I have one of the sexiest bunches of actors on television.''
Who is the most fun to dress?
``Gabrielle is so sassy and chic, and this gives me a lot of latitude with my choices. She really works the clothes beautifully to tell the story.''
What about the other women?
``Bree is traditional with a twist, while Lynette is frazzled and constantly putting others before herself. It's important not to lose sight of your own personal style and what works best for you, too. Just because skinny jeans and voluminous tops are a trend, doesn't always mean that everyone should wear it.''
What is the most outrageous outfit yet?
``Hands down, it's got to be the dress I designed for Susan in the fashion-show episode. If you recall, someone ripped it off her. So I had to design the dress to tear in a controlled manner -- over many takes. It was both a design and engineering feat!''
Do you ever have to adjust clothes due to weight gain?
``My actors are professionals! And very disciplined. Keeping in shape goes with the territory.''
Meet Cate at two Style Celebration events: 2-4 p.m. Thursday at Five Star Jewelers, 6271 SW 88th St., Miami; and 5-7 p.m. Thursday at Snow's Jewelers, 6837 Main St., Miami Lakes.
On Our Radar
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach
- Models spotted at Swim Week
- Cool and crafty event at Aventura Mall
- Roselyn Sánchez dishes on ‘Devious Maids,’ singing and new Spanish comedy
- Local bachelor appears in the nude on reality show