TransAtlantic Music Festival
TransAtlantic celebration spans styles and cultures.
Heineken TransAtlantic Festival
7 p.m. April 27: Tango Conspiracy; Bardot, 3456 N. Miami Ave., Miami. $10.
7 p.m. April 29: Céu, Nortec Collective; North Beach Bandshell, 7275 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. $20 in advance, $25 at the door
7 p.m. April 30: Cleaveland Jones, Antibalas; North Beach Bandshell. $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
Cost: Festival pass $40.
305-672-5202 or www.transatlanticfestival.com
The Heineken TransAtlantic Festival is one of Miami’s most inimitably characteristic events, an only-here mix of global musical traditions and modern perspective and production. Add a high ratio of danceable fun to a low ratio of attitude, and the Rhythm Foundation’s annual celebration of cross-cultural beats is one of most appealing happenings in the Magic City.
Things get slinky on April 27 with Tango Conspiracy, an electro-tango group led by singer Jimena Fama, at Design District music club Bardot. Brazil will be represented by Céu, a singer with a seductive, original mix of electro-chill, jazz and samba, on April 29, opening for Nortec Collective, the Tijuana-based group of DJ-producers that blends bassy, tuba-heavy Mexican norteño music with psychedelic club and dance music. They play the North Beach Bandshell in Miami Beach’s Little Buenos Aires neighborhood, a favorite festival venue that just re-opened after a year-long renovation.
TransAtlantic goes out with a funky Afro boom on April 30 with Antibalas, a New York-based group inspired by the complex rhythms and revolutionary lyrics of legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti. Indeed, Antibalas was the band for Fela! the hit Broadway musical based on Kuti’s life. Opening act is Cleaveland Jones, one of Miami’s most popular artists.
See and Do
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6