TransAtlantic Music Festival
TransAtlantic celebration spans styles and cultures.
The Heineken TransAtlantic Festival is one of Miami’s most inimitably characteristic events, an only-here mix of global musical traditions and modern perspective and production. Add a high ratio of danceable fun to a low ratio of attitude, and the Rhythm Foundation’s annual celebration of cross-cultural beats is one of most appealing happenings in the Magic City.
Things get slinky on April 27 with Tango Conspiracy, an electro-tango group led by singer Jimena Fama, at Design District music club Bardot. Brazil will be represented by Céu, a singer with a seductive, original mix of electro-chill, jazz and samba, on April 29, opening for Nortec Collective, the Tijuana-based group of DJ-producers that blends bassy, tuba-heavy Mexican norteño music with psychedelic club and dance music. They play the North Beach Bandshell in Miami Beach’s Little Buenos Aires neighborhood, a favorite festival venue that just re-opened after a year-long renovation.
TransAtlantic goes out with a funky Afro boom on April 30 with Antibalas, a New York-based group inspired by the complex rhythms and revolutionary lyrics of legendary Nigerian musician Fela Kuti. Indeed, Antibalas was the band for Fela! the hit Broadway musical based on Kuti’s life. Opening act is Cleaveland Jones, one of Miami’s most popular artists.
Heineken TransAtlantic Festival
7 p.m. April 27: Tango Conspiracy; Bardot, 3456 N. Miami Ave., Miami. $10.
7 p.m. April 29: Céu, Nortec Collective; North Beach Bandshell, 7275 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. $20 in advance, $25 at the door
7 p.m. April 30: Cleaveland Jones, Antibalas; North Beach Bandshell. $20 in advance, $25 at the door.
Cost: Festival pass $40.
305-672-5202 or www.transatlanticfestival.com
See and Do
- Debate watching parties in Miami
- Miami public spaces are getting a makeover with these upcoming projects
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- 5 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 23-25
- Live the nostalgia of ‘¿Qué Pasa, USA?’ this Saturday
- 4 Fitness Events in South Florida for Gym Rats
- Everglades gets funky with Wynwood benefit
- Wade, Mourning and other celebs attend opening of Haitian photography exhibit in Wynwood
- 6 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Sept. 16-18
- 10 Tours Of Miami That Are A Must