It’s time to head to Croissan’Time
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasi...
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasis for Francophiles for nearly 25 years.
Chef-owner Bernard Casse, born in Port-Sainte-Marie in southwestern France, opened the place in 1986. He uses fresh, top-notch ingredients, so food is not cheap here, but it’s well worth the price.
We love Casse’s rich quiche, made with heavy cream and milk. We had the full-size, with ham and emmantel Swiss cheese, but he also makes individual-size quiches with a variety of ingredients including turkey, chicken, mushrooms and spinach.
We shared a huge stuffed croissant with béchamel sauce inside and out. Big slices of Mediterranean pizza with lots of olives and tomatoes are another option.
The highlight at Croissan’ Time is, of course, the baked goods. Bakers arrive at midnight to prepare dough for baguettes, specialty breads and croissants.
The specialty item right now is the traditional French yule log (buche de noel) in three sizes (6, 8 or 12 inches, $25-$45). Mini pastries are irresistible, too -- the perfect ending to a gourmet spread.
If you go
Place: Croissan’ Time
Address: 1201 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale
Price range: Croissants (plain and filled) $1.65-$5.50, sandwiches $8.25-$9.25, hot entrees $7.95;-$26.50 (whole quiche). Mini pastries start at $1.95 (6 for $9.90, 12 for $18).
Contact: 954-565-8555, www.croissantime.com
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Holiday schedule: Open until 6:30 p.m. Friday; closed Christmas Day and Jan. 1, 2 and 3.
FYI: A trio will play at lunchtime Friday; there’s usually music Saturday and Sunday.
- Armadillo Cafe to open in Boca Raton
- The List: Casa D'Angelo's Angelo Elia
- Michelle Bernstein's Seagrape serves upscale elegance in new Thompson Hotel
- Miami restaurant review: Is Iron Chef Morimoto up to the South Beach challenge?
- South Beach openings: Soho Bay, David's Cafe, a new Dewey's, Bodega, Chicken Kitchen, La Savina
- New taco shop to open Dec. 29 in Miami Beach
- Dewey LoSasso to run new restaurant at Schnebly Winery and Miami Brewing Co.
- American Social now open in Brickell
- STK Miami opening delayed after sprinkler accident causes extensive damage
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good