It’s time to head to Croissan’Time
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasi...
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasis for Francophiles for nearly 25 years.
Chef-owner Bernard Casse, born in Port-Sainte-Marie in southwestern France, opened the place in 1986. He uses fresh, top-notch ingredients, so food is not cheap here, but it’s well worth the price.
We love Casse’s rich quiche, made with heavy cream and milk. We had the full-size, with ham and emmantel Swiss cheese, but he also makes individual-size quiches with a variety of ingredients including turkey, chicken, mushrooms and spinach.
We shared a huge stuffed croissant with béchamel sauce inside and out. Big slices of Mediterranean pizza with lots of olives and tomatoes are another option.
The highlight at Croissan’ Time is, of course, the baked goods. Bakers arrive at midnight to prepare dough for baguettes, specialty breads and croissants.
The specialty item right now is the traditional French yule log (buche de noel) in three sizes (6, 8 or 12 inches, $25-$45). Mini pastries are irresistible, too -- the perfect ending to a gourmet spread.
If you go
Place: Croissan’ Time
Address: 1201 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale
Price range: Croissants (plain and filled) $1.65-$5.50, sandwiches $8.25-$9.25, hot entrees $7.95;-$26.50 (whole quiche). Mini pastries start at $1.95 (6 for $9.90, 12 for $18).
Contact: 954-565-8555, www.croissantime.com
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Holiday schedule: Open until 6:30 p.m. Friday; closed Christmas Day and Jan. 1, 2 and 3.
FYI: A trio will play at lunchtime Friday; there’s usually music Saturday and Sunday.
- Swine Southern seeks new top chef as Jacob Anaya leaves Miami for California
- Saffron Supper Club lands at Bocce in midtown Miami
- The List: Miami's best foods with Cleo's Danny Elmaleh
- Brad Kilgore wants to alter your perceptions at Alter
- Rosinella owners open Sunset Juice Café in SoBe
- 9beach Fusion Kitchen & Lounge Bar set to open in South Beach
- Former Seaspice chef to oversee food at Fort Lauderdale hotel-condo
- More tacos on the way: Wapo Taco opening in Coral Gables
- The List: Miami's best eats with Piripi's Najat Kaanache
- Settle into island time at Calypso Raw Bar in Pompano Beach