It’s time to head to Croissan’Time
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasi...
Wanting to put out a special spread for house guests but with no time to cook in this busy holiday week, we headed to Croissan’ Time, a delightful French bakery that’s been an oasis for Francophiles for nearly 25 years.
Chef-owner Bernard Casse, born in Port-Sainte-Marie in southwestern France, opened the place in 1986. He uses fresh, top-notch ingredients, so food is not cheap here, but it’s well worth the price.
We love Casse’s rich quiche, made with heavy cream and milk. We had the full-size, with ham and emmantel Swiss cheese, but he also makes individual-size quiches with a variety of ingredients including turkey, chicken, mushrooms and spinach.
We shared a huge stuffed croissant with béchamel sauce inside and out. Big slices of Mediterranean pizza with lots of olives and tomatoes are another option.
The highlight at Croissan’ Time is, of course, the baked goods. Bakers arrive at midnight to prepare dough for baguettes, specialty breads and croissants.
The specialty item right now is the traditional French yule log (buche de noel) in three sizes (6, 8 or 12 inches, $25-$45). Mini pastries are irresistible, too -- the perfect ending to a gourmet spread.
If you go
Place: Croissan’ Time
Address: 1201 N. Federal Hwy., Fort Lauderdale
Price range: Croissants (plain and filled) $1.65-$5.50, sandwiches $8.25-$9.25, hot entrees $7.95;-$26.50 (whole quiche). Mini pastries start at $1.95 (6 for $9.90, 12 for $18).
Contact: 954-565-8555, www.croissantime.com
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Holiday schedule: Open until 6:30 p.m. Friday; closed Christmas Day and Jan. 1, 2 and 3.
FYI: A trio will play at lunchtime Friday; there’s usually music Saturday and Sunday.
- South Beach sushi pop-up Prey puts invasive species on the menu at 1 Hotel & Homes
- The List: 10 best Miami foods with Batch Gastropub's Kevin Danilo
- Miami restaurant review: Upper East Side gets a Pinch of creative cooking
- 2 new Coral Gables restaurants opening this week: Trust & Co. and Ichimi
- Worth the drive: Clay Conley opens Grato restaurant in West Palm Beach
- Beaker & Gray is a new date spot in Wynwood
- A Top Chef's 10 favorite foods in Miami
- Former Zuma chef, manager to open KYU restaurant in Wynwood
- Kris Wessel to open barbecue joint in Miami's Little Haiti
- Brickell's Komodo is a Pan-Asian Palace