Makeup Artist Scott Barnes
Meet makeup artist Scott Barnes, the face behind the J. Lo “glow” and the author of "About Face."
Books & Books Bal Harbour Shops
9700 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour
Silvia Tcherassi Atelier
4101 Ponce de Leon Boulevard, Coral Gables
He’s the face behind the J. Lo “glow” and the author of the highly anticipated book About Face, Amazing Transformations Using Secrets of the Top Celebrity Makeup Artist. We gabbed with the 42-year-old beauty guru hailing from Detroit and he dished about his aha! moment and how to achieve a flawless look no matter what.
You initially wanted to be a fine-arts painter, why did you segue into makeup artistry?
It really just happened.
How did working with Shu Uemura change your career?
He made realize that I had the talent to create cosmetics.
You are the creator of the infamous J. Lo "glow." Did you ever imagine your bronze skin and pale lips look would put you on the map?
No. I was just doing what I thought looked sexy.
How did About Face come about?
I was traveling the world so I would sit and write on all those long flights.
What makes your eponymous cosmetic line so special?
It’s everything I would use or need.
What is the best makeup advice you can give South Florida-based women?
Try to protect yourself from the sun!
What is the biggest no-no when it comes to doing one's own make-up?
Do not apply bronzer under the eyes.
What items should be in every woman’s cosmetics drawer?
Shu Uemura eyelash curler, mascara, lip-gloss and my Body Bling tinted body lotion.
Thoughts on guy-liner?
I love it.
If you weren't a makeup artist, what would you be?
Book: The Bible
Color: Grey and blue
Pet: My Great Dane, Taylor
- Art Basel Brings a Louis Vuitton and Marcel Wanders Collaboration
- Meet Miami's Own Designer Behind The Nomadic Collector
- Shinola Opens in Wynwood
- Stuart Weitzman Knows What Women Want
- Steve Madden Celebrates 25 Years
- Pumping It Up with Aquazzura's Edgardo Osorio
- Finding Inspiration with Marchesa’s Keren Craig
- Dsquared2 Opens in South Florida
- Interview with #RICHKIDS of Beverly Hills' Roxy Sowlaty
- Interview With Miami's own Designer Ana Mari Ortega