Happy hour at PB Steak, Sunday pool parties at Mayfair Hotel and Bingo at The Standard
PB Steak hosts a weekend happy hour, Mayfair wants to get see you in your bikini and The Standard gives Bingo a naughty spin.
Happy (Hour) New Year
Though 2014 is barely out of the womb, many people have already resolved to break their prohibitive promises and broken out the bottle instead. Catering to that bit of rogue behavior is PB Steak (1787 Purdy Ave., Miami Beach) whose new happy hour gives you an alcoholic alibi from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, during which time there will be stellar deals on cocktails--half off spirits, craft beers and wines by the glass--and snacks including $2 oysters, $3 Maine lobster taquitos and steak tartare sliders and $6 Buffalo-style sweetbreads. Indulge! Resolutions are for quitters.
A Wet Winter
As the rest of the country hacks off ice chunks from their eyebrows, our well manicured Miami folk are making their way to the Mayfair Hotel & Spa's (300 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove) new Sunday afternoon rooftop pool parties where, from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. featuring pitcher specials, sushi, ceviche, oysters, DJs JP Rigaud and Bryan Peroni and sunset drumming by Papa Loko. Free drinks for the fairer sex will be served from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. while free petite massage treatments will be available from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Art Thou Walking?
Art comes in many forms--just look at the corporate-encrusted mutation that has become Art Basel. Or, perhaps the crowd at LIV on a Saturday night during Christmas break. That's not a crowd, actually, that's a small country. Just ask Miami's veteran bon vivant Michael Dreiling, aka The Nostradamus of Trend, who says that, "Every time I go to a night club and get near a dance floor, I get slammed in the chest by enhanced breasts and banged in the crotch by cement assess--there needs to be enforced safeguards . . . Maybe I will volunteer to help out. A little squeeze here and there could save many the next morning black and blues." That, or just a good old fashioned art walk like the one taking place from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3 at McCormick Place (111 SW 3rd St., Miami) where the only blacks and blues you may see will be hung on the walls.
The Standard has a way of retrofitting like no other. Case in point: Bingo Night, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, January 5 at 40 Island Ave., a far cry from your great granny's game, where host Amin de Jesus and DJ Brian Jones have your numbers and may call them, albeit with a naughty spin. Winners get one night stays, one week memberships, spa treatments and more.
- Chocolate orgies, apres happy hours, Sunday suppers and late night brunches
- National Martini Day, Nag Champayons at Bardot, Sappho does SoBe plus Sugar Factory & Libertine open
- Jazid celebrates 19 years, get literary with Judy Blume, Hyde Beach blacks out, PARK at LILT
- Bodega, Brandt's Break, Baboons and Audrina Patridge bring on the scene
- An art heist, karaoke night, night swimming, Space Jamming & World Red Eye's big 05
- Summer in the city: DBGB, boozy fundraisers and bikini contests
- Sommelier Slam, Thea's Supper Club, Tito Puente, Jr. and YoungArts paints the town
- Nahko and Medicine for the People at Grand Central, Dance Band Night, Electric Piquete & Buck 15 Redux
- Fight nights, Derby days, comedy & Cinco de Mayo
- Oculto Manor takes over Soho, sunset cocktails at Seaspice, O, Miami circa 1981 & assorted earthiness