Happy hour at PB Steak, Sunday pool parties at Mayfair Hotel and Bingo at The Standard
PB Steak hosts a weekend happy hour, Mayfair wants to get see you in your bikini and The Standard gives Bingo a naughty spin.
Happy (Hour) New Year
Though 2014 is barely out of the womb, many people have already resolved to break their prohibitive promises and broken out the bottle instead. Catering to that bit of rogue behavior is PB Steak (1787 Purdy Ave., Miami Beach) whose new happy hour gives you an alcoholic alibi from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, during which time there will be stellar deals on cocktails--half off spirits, craft beers and wines by the glass--and snacks including $2 oysters, $3 Maine lobster taquitos and steak tartare sliders and $6 Buffalo-style sweetbreads. Indulge! Resolutions are for quitters.
A Wet Winter
As the rest of the country hacks off ice chunks from their eyebrows, our well manicured Miami folk are making their way to the Mayfair Hotel & Spa's (300 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove) new Sunday afternoon rooftop pool parties where, from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. featuring pitcher specials, sushi, ceviche, oysters, DJs JP Rigaud and Bryan Peroni and sunset drumming by Papa Loko. Free drinks for the fairer sex will be served from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. while free petite massage treatments will be available from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Art Thou Walking?
Art comes in many forms--just look at the corporate-encrusted mutation that has become Art Basel. Or, perhaps the crowd at LIV on a Saturday night during Christmas break. That's not a crowd, actually, that's a small country. Just ask Miami's veteran bon vivant Michael Dreiling, aka The Nostradamus of Trend, who says that, "Every time I go to a night club and get near a dance floor, I get slammed in the chest by enhanced breasts and banged in the crotch by cement assess--there needs to be enforced safeguards . . . Maybe I will volunteer to help out. A little squeeze here and there could save many the next morning black and blues." That, or just a good old fashioned art walk like the one taking place from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3 at McCormick Place (111 SW 3rd St., Miami) where the only blacks and blues you may see will be hung on the walls.
The Standard has a way of retrofitting like no other. Case in point: Bingo Night, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, January 5 at 40 Island Ave., a far cry from your great granny's game, where host Amin de Jesus and DJ Brian Jones have your numbers and may call them, albeit with a naughty spin. Winners get one night stays, one week memberships, spa treatments and more.
- Velvet Underground: Vinyl fever returns on Record Store Day, LA-based dark glam opera band 'Timur and the Dime Museum' plays for The Miami Light Project, and go retro with famed drag queen Elaine Lancaster at Miami Bingo Bash
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more