Happy hour at PB Steak, Sunday pool parties at Mayfair Hotel and Bingo at The Standard
PB Steak hosts a weekend happy hour, Mayfair wants to get see you in your bikini and The Standard gives Bingo a naughty spin.
Happy (Hour) New Year
Though 2014 is barely out of the womb, many people have already resolved to break their prohibitive promises and broken out the bottle instead. Catering to that bit of rogue behavior is PB Steak (1787 Purdy Ave., Miami Beach) whose new happy hour gives you an alcoholic alibi from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. every Saturday and Sunday, during which time there will be stellar deals on cocktails--half off spirits, craft beers and wines by the glass--and snacks including $2 oysters, $3 Maine lobster taquitos and steak tartare sliders and $6 Buffalo-style sweetbreads. Indulge! Resolutions are for quitters.
A Wet Winter
As the rest of the country hacks off ice chunks from their eyebrows, our well manicured Miami folk are making their way to the Mayfair Hotel & Spa's (300 Florida Ave., Coconut Grove) new Sunday afternoon rooftop pool parties where, from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. featuring pitcher specials, sushi, ceviche, oysters, DJs JP Rigaud and Bryan Peroni and sunset drumming by Papa Loko. Free drinks for the fairer sex will be served from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. while free petite massage treatments will be available from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Art Thou Walking?
Art comes in many forms--just look at the corporate-encrusted mutation that has become Art Basel. Or, perhaps the crowd at LIV on a Saturday night during Christmas break. That's not a crowd, actually, that's a small country. Just ask Miami's veteran bon vivant Michael Dreiling, aka The Nostradamus of Trend, who says that, "Every time I go to a night club and get near a dance floor, I get slammed in the chest by enhanced breasts and banged in the crotch by cement assess--there needs to be enforced safeguards . . . Maybe I will volunteer to help out. A little squeeze here and there could save many the next morning black and blues." That, or just a good old fashioned art walk like the one taking place from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3 at McCormick Place (111 SW 3rd St., Miami) where the only blacks and blues you may see will be hung on the walls.
The Standard has a way of retrofitting like no other. Case in point: Bingo Night, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Sunday, January 5 at 40 Island Ave., a far cry from your great granny's game, where host Amin de Jesus and DJ Brian Jones have your numbers and may call them, albeit with a naughty spin. Winners get one night stays, one week memberships, spa treatments and more.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale