Hanging with Joe Dert
Spin doctor at Nikki Beach
With summer fast approaching, celeb DJ Joe Dert has some ideas on how to beat the heat. Stick close to the beach — Nikki Beach, that is. Every Sunday night, Dert, a South Beach staple on the party circuit for more than six years, spins at the trendy oceanfront hotspot. His music mash-ups, a combo of rock, house and hip-hop, have landed him gigs at Set, Rokbar, Wall at the W Hotel, The Gansevoort and LIV. His unique sound has caught attention from such stars as Diddy, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg and Jessica Alba. In the clubs, he prides himself on “rocking the crowd,” a trick he learned back in the day. As a drummer with the rock band Endo, he toured with Korn and Megadeth. “The crowds were really tough,” he recalls. “I usually play with my eyes closed, and one night we were playing in Vancouver, and something knocked me straight on my head.” In the midst of recording new music, Endo split up. Luckily, he wasn’t without work for too long. “A friend of mine told me about this new club that wanted somebody who knew about rock music.” The club, Automatic Slims, became his second home. “I’m self-taught,” he says of his craft. “I took it serious from the beginning. Never did I want to be one of those jukebox DJs.”
On Our Radar
- 5 reasons why everyone should watch Premios Tu Mundo
- Ricky Martin in Miami Beach with Maluma
- Armand Assante remembers 'Mambo Kings' premiere
- Zika cases found in Miami Beach, pregnant women warned to stay away by CDC
- Kanye West's Life of Pablo pop up shop in Miami
- Miami hurdler Brianna Rollins rules!
- Disney princess Aimee Carrero a Miami girl
- Are Anna Kournikova and Enrique Iglesias married?
- 6 things to do so you don't get Zika
- Refrain From Ever Becoming A Plastic Surgery Nightmare with Dr. Nassif's Beauty Tips