Hanging with Joe Dert
Spin doctor at Nikki Beach
With summer fast approaching, celeb DJ Joe Dert has some ideas on how to beat the heat. Stick close to the beach — Nikki Beach, that is. Every Sunday night, Dert, a South Beach staple on the party circuit for more than six years, spins at the trendy oceanfront hotspot. His music mash-ups, a combo of rock, house and hip-hop, have landed him gigs at Set, Rokbar, Wall at the W Hotel, The Gansevoort and LIV. His unique sound has caught attention from such stars as Diddy, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Mark Wahlberg and Jessica Alba. In the clubs, he prides himself on “rocking the crowd,” a trick he learned back in the day. As a drummer with the rock band Endo, he toured with Korn and Megadeth. “The crowds were really tough,” he recalls. “I usually play with my eyes closed, and one night we were playing in Vancouver, and something knocked me straight on my head.” In the midst of recording new music, Endo split up. Luckily, he wasn’t without work for too long. “A friend of mine told me about this new club that wanted somebody who knew about rock music.” The club, Automatic Slims, became his second home. “I’m self-taught,” he says of his craft. “I took it serious from the beginning. Never did I want to be one of those jukebox DJs.”
On Our Radar
- Mariah Carey, Brett Ratner: birthday soulmates
- Ian Somerhalder supports fiancee at event
- David Beckham canvasing Miami again?
- Paris Hilton on the red carpet
- Kathie Lee Gifford at Boca Bachannal
- Ex Real Housewives of Miami star arrested
- Local chef a contestant on 'Hell's Kitchen'
- Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons in Miami
- Dan Aykroyd making stops in Broward
- Scott Disick set to appear at Crazy Horse in Pompano Beach