Haitian konpa group Magnum Band holds free concert in Miami on Nov. 9
Free concert at Oak Grove park sponsored by Knight Foundation
Few things are more enticing in the entertainment world than the word “free” – especially when it’s an event most fans would gladly pay to attend. Such an event is the show by legendary Haitian konpa group Magnum Band, part of the free Noches Tropicales/Tropical Nights concert series sponsored by the Knight Foundation. The fun kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 9, at Oak Grove Park, 690 NE 159th St., Miami.
The Magnum Band, formed in 1976, is a great introduction to the vibrant music and culture of Haiti. Led by the Pasquet brothers, Andre “Dadou” and Claude “Tico,” the group is one of the most unique and longest-running acts in the Haitian music industry, blending socially conscious lyrics with a style of konpa that incorporates jazz, pop and soul. Dadou is the bandleader, singer-songwriter and guitarist, and is
known as “Haiti’s Six-String Ambassador,” while his older brother Tico has been called the best drummer and percussionist in the history of konpa music.
The Magnum Band has recorded more than 30 albums, including its most recent, “Rété Avè'm Chéri,” and has performed at internationally revered venues such as Le Zenith in Paris and at the Centennial Olympic Park as part of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta.
Concertgoers are welcome to bring blankets, chairs and snacks; for more info, call the Office of Miami-Dade County District 2 Commissioner Jean Monestime at 305-694-2779.
Upcoming Noches Tropicales events include Grammy-nominated Latin music star Edwin Bonilla on Dec. 7, Spanish-pop balladeer Amaury Gutierrez on Feb. 8, and merengue artist Tony Swing on April 5.
Music in Miami
- Gloria Estefan headlines Miami Beach Centennial Concert on Thursday night
- Jazz In The Gardens: RUN-DMC storms the stage Sunday
- Jazz In The Gardens: Erykah Badu performs Sunday night
- Piano Guys bring pop-classical medleys to the Arsht Center
- Erykah Badu, Run DMC and Sheila E. highlight Jazz in the Gardens 10th anniversary line-up
- Roberto Rodriguez Quartet performs at the Olympia Theater's jazz series
- Virginia Key GrassRoots Festival Announces Lineup
- Jazz legends to light up New World Center
- Jacob Jeffries performs Wednesday at CANVAS in downtown Miami
- Fleetwood Mac’s reunion with Christine McVie akin to ‘performance art,’ band’s founder says