Gipsy Kings celebrate 25 years of 'Bamboleo' at the Hard Rock on May 15
The flamenco fusion band that hails from France celebrates a quarter century of world music with a tour which lands in Broward.
Few American cities can match the musical richness and complexity of the Gipsy Kings like the melting pot that is Miami. And few groups embody the overused umbrella term “world music” quite like the Grammy-winning French band that sings in Spanish and serves up an exhilarating mix of flamenco, pop and Latin rhythms.
Twenty-five years ago, the Gipsy Kings captured the world’s fancy with its self-titled debut album, which introduced the “Rumba Gitano,” South America’s rumba rhythm coupled with a barrage of flamenco guitar, and gave us the sing-along hits “Djobi Djoba” and “Bamboleo.” On May 15, the band will help celebrate a quarter century of recording and constant touring together with a rousing show at the Hard Rock Live at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino near Hollywood.
You’re sure to hear plenty from the Gipsy Kings’ ninth studio album and first in six years, “Savor Flamenco,” which won the Grammy Award this year for Best World Music Album. It also marks the first time the band has produced itself and written all the material on an album.
Though the Gipsy Kings are globally revered for incorporating Latin, Cuban and Arabic styles, plus guitar work inspired by French Gypsy master Django Reinhardt, they have also insinuated themselves into American pop culture. You might have heard the band’s cover of The Eagles’ anthem “Hotel California,” punctuated with frenetic flamenco rhythms; your kids might recognize versions of “I’ve Got No Strings,” from the Disney video “Simply Mad About the Mouse,” and “You’ve Got a Friend In Me” from “Toy Story 3.”
But whatever the Kings choose to play, you can be sure it will be a joyous sound that knows no border, reaching every musical soul regardless of country or language.
Tickets ($61.50-$81.50) go on sale at 11 a.m. Friday through Ticketmaster or www.myhrl.com. Each ticket purchased online will receive a digital download of the new album, “Savor Flamenco,” which will be sent to the email address provided when purchasing tickets.
See and Do
- 15 things to do with the kids Oct 5-11: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 2-4
- Miami Events - October 2015
- Wizard World Comic Con takes over the Broward Convention Center
- 15 things to do with the kids Sept 28 - Oct 4: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Ultimate guide to luxury seats at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 25-27
- House of Horrors kicks off this weekend with a concert by Silentó
- Bay Skate rolls back into Bayfront Park with a free skating party
- Broward County celebrates its 100 year anniversary with Neil Goldberg's extravaganza 'WE'