Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Fort Lauderdale's Fish Tank Kings returns
- Wild and crazy guy: Steve O in town for shows
- Ben & Jerry’s Free Ice Cream Tasting
- Tax day cometh! Flo Rida pays his bill
- Joanna Krupa puts apartment up for sale
- Former 'Queer Eye' designer Thom Filicia lends his touch to new condo in Edgewater
- Key West company featured on 'The Profit'
- Miami Beach, Miami Gardens among nation’s most dangerous suburbs
- George Lopez talks 'Saint George' and 'Rio 2'
- Old Spice Guy Isaiah Mustafa spreads the love