Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Wilmer Valderrama in Miami
- Vanilla Ice headed to the Design District?
- Thrive Seminar, Nelson Foundation will award local entrepreneur $10,000 on Thursday on Miami Beach
- Comedian Jo Koy at Magic City Casino
- Want to get gorgeous fast? Glamsquad is one solution
- Puff Daddy and pals to take stage at Fontainebleau
- Miami Marlins star Giancarlo Stanton single & looking
- Brandon Flowers cancels Fillmore concert
- Zac Efron makes surprise visit to Regal, spins at Grand Central
- Ice Cube and co in town for 'Straight Outta Compton'