Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Million Dollar Listing Miami in trouble?
- Dwayne "The Rock Johnson filming football show in Miami
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Mangianello continue romance-fest in Miami
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach
- Models spotted at Swim Week