Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Draya Michele debuts Mint Swim collection in Miami, shows off curves at the beach
- What Adrienne Bailon wears to the beach
- Carlos Ponce: I would never run for president
- Emma Roberts: I need to visit Miami more often
- Pitbull makes Miami look good in 'Sexy Beaches' video
- 7 cool booths to visit at Agenda Miami
- 5 ways Colombians in Miami celebrated their independence day
- 5 Things We Loved at Premios Juventud
- You'll Never Guess Where 'The Rock' Calls his Favorite Place to Eat in Miami
- How to keep getting Miami.com on Facebook