Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Pitbull back on New Year's Eve duty
- Maks Chmerkovskiy to host “SWAY: A Dance Trilogy”
- Thalia to appear at Macy's
- Hillary Clinton joins Marc Anthony on stage
- Scott Disick spotted with new ladyfriend in Miami Beach
- David Cassidy cited after car crash
- Young magician to appear at Arsht gala
- Phil Collins set to perform at charity gala
- Soledad O'Brien at 'I Am Latino in America' conference
- Shaq to host Barry University bash