Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Jennifer Lopez to perform free concert at Bayfront Park in support of Hillary Clinton
- Which Miami neighborhood will be the next to be ‘Art-Washed’?
- Five reasons to not give up on the Miami Heat
- Larsa and Scottie Pippen to divorce after 19 years
- Boo Madea star Tyler Perry: I don't like Halloween
- Florida has better taste in Halloween candy than most other states, says survey
- Phil Collins: 'I don’t like Miami particularly'
- DJ Irie gets put in the hot seat this Saturday at his own celebrity roast
- King Tide floods the streets of South Florida
- Jose Fernandez may get his own Miami street