Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision
- Florida girl Megan Fox: Miami has changed so much
- South Florida's Johnny Depp in divorce drama
- Win a ride on the Flying Cucumber blimp on June 2
- 5 Colombian locations in Miami that Seleccion Colombia should visit
- Did your name make the list of names for the 2016 Hurricane Season?
- Blac Chyna slams body shamers
- Tracy Morgan: I feel good
- How to Do Miami Like These 9 Celebs
- Brett Ratner back home in Miami Beach