Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Madonna is kicking off her 35-city tour in Miami
- Hank Azaria playing emcee at local gala on Sunday night
- Talking to Ana Maria in Novela Land star
- Chazz Palminteri tells his 'Bronx Tale'
- Athletes seen partying in Miami
- Is Miami Heat star Chris Bosh OK?
- Latin stars come together for Premios Lo Nuestro
- William Levy front and center at rum event
- Diana Nyad to re-create famous swim on stage
- Report: Rapper Vanilla Ice arrested