Gym Class Heroes' Travie McCoy an artist too
Lives in South Florida
Though many local fans of alt rockers Gym Class Heroes may not know this, lead singer Travie McCoy lives among us. In Aventura for the last four years, to be exact. McCoy, originally from the Finger Lakes region of Upstate New York, who formed the fun-loving band in high school, is also an artist. The 31-year-old will be exhibiting some of his sketches and tattoo-inspired works at the Air Traffic Control store in Miami Beach Friday night. Most people know him as a singer and not as an artist. "I went to art school in Utica, N.Y., and I thought, ‘When all is said and done, I can either be a starving artist or an art teacher,’ so I decided to go for something more structured [with Heroes]," he says. "If it hadn’t been for music, I definitely would have chased a career in the art world."
The “Rich Event” is 7 p.m. Friday at Air Traffic Control. 1601 Washington Ave., 305-531- 2000.
On Our Radar
- Kathie Lee Gifford at Boca Bachannal
- Ex Real Housewives of Miami star arrested
- Local chef a contestant on 'Hell's Kitchen'
- Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons in Miami
- Dan Aykroyd making stops in Broward
- Scott Disick set to appear at Crazy Horse in Pompano Beach
- Toni Braxton meets up with the Wades at benefit
- Sir Richard Branson takes in Formula E
- Nick Zano talks being a Florida guy
- Victoria's Secret spring break party