Guide to Magic City Casino
Our gambling writer takes you inside the new Magic City Casino, Miami-Dade County's first pari-mutual slot facility that opened on October 15th.
450 NW 37th Avenue
BY Justin Azpiazu
Slot machine players in Miami-Dade County finally have a new casino to win some money with the opening of Flagler’s Dog Track’s Magic City Casino. The Magic City Casino, the first pari-mutuel to offer slot machines in Miami, has 700 Vegas-style slots, poker and dog racing action open till 4 a.m. every morning.
The Magic City Casino has a wide selection of games, food and drinks that’s clear to make any discerning gamblers night.
The Casino has many of the most popular slot machines in the country including Wheel of Fortune, Wizard of Oz, Quick Hits, Jackpot Party, Wolf Run, Cleopatra and old favorites Diamond Lotto and Shockwave.
Gamblers hoping to get a spot at one of Magic City’s new slot machines will need to be patient since demand has been high since opening day. During opening weekend, wait times varied for open machines, as the casino was flooded with eager players.
If slots is not your game of choice Flagler has one of the nicest poker rooms in Miami and a separate horse and dog racing area. For dog racing enthusiast Flagler has live dog racing five days a week and offers simulcast betting late into the night.
If you’re hungry the casinos’ Big Mouth Buffet is open daily for lunch and dinner and has a huge selection of salads, entrees, side dishes and desserts.
For a quick bite the casino has a concession area where you can grab a burger or sandwich.
If you’re looking to get your drink on – the Tres Hermanos Bar, has a large selection of tropical drinks that has live music nightly.
The main casino bar has several large flat screen TV’s where you can watch sporting events or catch up on breaking news. Drinks are reasonably priced and a Heineken, this writer’s drink of choice, is $5.50.
See and Do
- Bayfront Park hosts tree lighting event to kick off holiday season
- Momix will perform and teach a master class at Broward Center
- 17 Fun Things to Do This Holiday Week: Nov 23-29
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 20-22
- ‘Newsies’ dances its way back to South Florida with a charming leading man
- Some Miami Book Fair events of note (in a weekend of hundreds)
- Miami Book Fair, a literary cornucopia, kicks off
- Give Miami Day, Nov. 19, is a chance to support Miami charities
- 15 things to do with the kids this week: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami this weekend - Nov. 13-15