Guarapo Organic Juice Bar sweetens Shorecrest
International juice bar sweetens Shorecrest
The stretch of 79th Street just east of Biscayne Boulevard now has Guarapo, where folks congregate over cups of fresh-squeezed juice or shots of probiotic coconut kefir. Guarapo is Spanish for sugar cane, and peeled stalks are pressed into greenish-yellow juice or added to smoothies in a small space with lime green walls and a salad bar.
Health-conscious owner Edwin Delosantos, who is of Dominican and Puerto Rican descent, dissolved his graphic printing company to follow his passion and open a juice bar. His cousin Jose Martinez helps out, and his aunt provides homemade soups.
Sugar cane is a tall grass native to New Guinea, where it features in ancient creation myths. It spread to India, where it was firs
cultivated. Raw cane juice is rich in enzymes, vitamins and minerals, similar to wheat grass but sweeter and with less chlorophyll.
Try the Brazilian garapa (from the Tupi Amerindian word for sugar cane) that mixes cane juice with passion fruit, carrot and ginger. Ganne ka ras is the Indian version with lemon, mint and ginger, while the Egyptian aseer asab mixes in orange, pineapple and strawberries. Air tebu is the Indonesian take with melon and carrot, and Kenyan muwa adds coconut and lime, all refreshing.
Juices range from elixirs for sore throats, allergies and acne to cleansers with kale, citrus, apples, beets and cucumber. Power
smoothies include the blueberry bliss with hemp milk and almond butter and the Amazon with pineapple, papaya and coconut. Add chia seeds, flaxseed oil or peanut butter. Or just drink your sugar with a side salad and head to yoga full of natural energy.
Guarapo Organic Juice Bar
649 NE 79 St, Miami
Hours: 8am-7pm Monday-Friday, 9am-6pm Saturday
Prices: Juices $5-$6, smoothies $7-$8.50, shots $2, salad bar $6.99 per pound
F.Y.I. Juice cleanser packages available. Free parking; delivery available for orders of $20 and more
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura
- 41st Street Deli makes gourmet kosher sandwiches in Miami Beach
- Fornaro cooks Italian food by way of Brazil in Coconut Grove
- Stone crabs with a side of sunset at Monty's in South Beach
- Moreno’s Café captures the spirit of Cuba in Miami Beach
- Ni.Do Caffe in Miami Shores celebrates eating the Italian way
- The hottest Thai food in Miami is on Calle Ocho
- Vegan cuisine is in Full Bloom in Miami Beach
- Jet Runway Café takes off in Fort Lauderdale
- Go all natural at Organic Bites in Miami