Grinding the Rumor Mill: Michael Schwartz to Vegas? Cipriani opening in May? Another top chef on South Beach?
Some rumor, some truth, and all delicious speculation
They say things come in threes and this latest trio of restaurant-related rumors is no exception. First up is the tip we received from our Sin City spies telling us that Michael Schwartz, who has his hands full here, in the Cayman Islands and, at times, on Royal Caribbean's cruise ships, is opening an "American diner" concept restaurant in Vegas at the SLS Hotel Las Vegas, opening sometime in 2014 and already featuring what the SLS Hotel South Beach has: The Bazaar by José Andrés and Katsuya by Starck. Schwartz is already partnered with SLS's sbe group in the form of his newest, Restaurant Michael Schwartz, opening Saturday at their newly acquired property, The Raleigh. But despite that, Schwartz, his people tell us, is genuinely not opening in Vegas. But he is consulting for sbe.
"Michael is consulting for sbe on many things, yes Vegas included, but he is not opening up a Michael Schwartz restaurant or concept there," says Genuine Hospitality Group Brand Director Jackie Sayet, who added that he is "Strictly consulting. And he is not consulting on anything at the SLS in Vegas, where Jose Andres is Culinary Director." Next!
Next rumor is that Cipriani Downtown Miami is actually, really, finally opening. That one's true. The Iegacy of Giuseppe Cipriani will indeed open at the Icon Brickell in May, says François Banos, formerly of Cipriani Downtown in NYC and now running the show on Brickell.
Last, but not least is our blind item about yet another top chef heading down to Miami, this time South Beach. To a hotel. That may or may not exist already. That's all we can say because the deal isn't yet signed. But be sure that when it is, we'll be the first to let you know.
- The Downstairs at Hotel Astor resurfaces on March 14
- Ex-China Grill, Lantao Kitchen chef Ferdinand Ortiz Jr. named Mister Collins' new Executive Chef
- Ex Preservation chef Ryan Harrison heads up Giorgio Rapicavoli's Taperia Raca; menu here>>
- Tommy Hilfiger is buying, redoing The Raleigh; no comment from Michael Schwartz on restaurant's fate
- Carla Pellegrino's Touché Rooftop Lounge & Restaurant opening April 3
- The Villa by Barton G relaunches restaurant as Il Sole
- Java junkies! Tell us about your incurable coffee addiction & win a Keurig Special Edition Brewing System
- Bâoli does Omakase
- Hot sauce, happy hour & pinatas with free stuff at Huahua's Taqueria
- Locals, legends in the galley at SOBEWFF's Ocean Liner Dinner at The Wolfsonian