Grinding the Rumor Mill: Michael Schwartz to Vegas? Cipriani opening in May? Another top chef on South Beach?
Some rumor, some truth, and all delicious speculation
They say things come in threes and this latest trio of restaurant-related rumors is no exception. First up is the tip we received from our Sin City spies telling us that Michael Schwartz, who has his hands full here, in the Cayman Islands and, at times, on Royal Caribbean's cruise ships, is opening an "American diner" concept restaurant in Vegas at the SLS Hotel Las Vegas, opening sometime in 2014 and already featuring what the SLS Hotel South Beach has: The Bazaar by José Andrés and Katsuya by Starck. Schwartz is already partnered with SLS's sbe group in the form of his newest, Restaurant Michael Schwartz, opening Saturday at their newly acquired property, The Raleigh. But despite that, Schwartz, his people tell us, is genuinely not opening in Vegas. But he is consulting for sbe.
"Michael is consulting for sbe on many things, yes Vegas included, but he is not opening up a Michael Schwartz restaurant or concept there," says Genuine Hospitality Group Brand Director Jackie Sayet, who added that he is "Strictly consulting. And he is not consulting on anything at the SLS in Vegas, where Jose Andres is Culinary Director." Next!
Next rumor is that Cipriani Downtown Miami is actually, really, finally opening. That one's true. The Iegacy of Giuseppe Cipriani will indeed open at the Icon Brickell in May, says François Banos, formerly of Cipriani Downtown in NYC and now running the show on Brickell.
Last, but not least is our blind item about yet another top chef heading down to Miami, this time South Beach. To a hotel. That may or may not exist already. That's all we can say because the deal isn't yet signed. But be sure that when it is, we'll be the first to let you know.
- Michael Schwartz's Fi'lia opens in Brickell next week
- Brazil's 24/7 French bistro Paris 6 opening October 24 on Miami Beach
- Mignonette opening second location in ex-Gourmet Diner space on Biscayne
- Ferran Adrià, Jorge Muñoz, Aaron Mulliss & Nick Beardshaw in Miami for Estrella Damm Gastronomy Congress
- Soyka's second act: Miami restaurateur to open first restaurant in 15 years
- Big name chefs heading to Hyde Beach on September 22 for Hunger Action Month
- Ex Milos chef to head up kitchen at Miami River Greek spot, KIKI on the River
- Rick Bayless restaurant Red O opening in downtown Miami next summer
- Where sushi blends old world and new on South Beach
- Top 5 Arepas in Miami from Yelp