Grinding the Rumor Mill: Michael Schwartz to Vegas? Cipriani opening in May? Another top chef on South Beach?
Some rumor, some truth, and all delicious speculation
They say things come in threes and this latest trio of restaurant-related rumors is no exception. First up is the tip we received from our Sin City spies telling us that Michael Schwartz, who has his hands full here, in the Cayman Islands and, at times, on Royal Caribbean's cruise ships, is opening an "American diner" concept restaurant in Vegas at the SLS Hotel Las Vegas, opening sometime in 2014 and already featuring what the SLS Hotel South Beach has: The Bazaar by José Andrés and Katsuya by Starck. Schwartz is already partnered with SLS's sbe group in the form of his newest, Restaurant Michael Schwartz, opening Saturday at their newly acquired property, The Raleigh. But despite that, Schwartz, his people tell us, is genuinely not opening in Vegas. But he is consulting for sbe.
"Michael is consulting for sbe on many things, yes Vegas included, but he is not opening up a Michael Schwartz restaurant or concept there," says Genuine Hospitality Group Brand Director Jackie Sayet, who added that he is "Strictly consulting. And he is not consulting on anything at the SLS in Vegas, where Jose Andres is Culinary Director." Next!
Next rumor is that Cipriani Downtown Miami is actually, really, finally opening. That one's true. The Iegacy of Giuseppe Cipriani will indeed open at the Icon Brickell in May, says François Banos, formerly of Cipriani Downtown in NYC and now running the show on Brickell.
Last, but not least is our blind item about yet another top chef heading down to Miami, this time South Beach. To a hotel. That may or may not exist already. That's all we can say because the deal isn't yet signed. But be sure that when it is, we'll be the first to let you know.
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab
- Chef Michael Schwartz to open Fi’lia, a new Italian concept, in Brickell in fall of 2016
- Move over koji: The "Approachable" Restaurant is Miami's latest, hottest food trend
- Picking your political poison: Broken Shaker debuts the Sorry Donald cocktail
- Who makes Miami's prettiest latte?
- 9 recipes to get you in the mood for #NegroniWeek
- Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli's 2-night Azul collaboration
- Donuts and cocktails for Friday's National Donut Day
- A new Top 10: Cypress Tavern cracks list of 2016's best-reviewed restaurants
- BLT Steak losing the B and adding Seafood to become LT Steak & Seafood