Grinding the Rumor Mill: Michael Schwartz to Vegas? Cipriani opening in May? Another top chef on South Beach?
Some rumor, some truth, and all delicious speculation
They say things come in threes and this latest trio of restaurant-related rumors is no exception. First up is the tip we received from our Sin City spies telling us that Michael Schwartz, who has his hands full here, in the Cayman Islands and, at times, on Royal Caribbean's cruise ships, is opening an "American diner" concept restaurant in Vegas at the SLS Hotel Las Vegas, opening sometime in 2014 and already featuring what the SLS Hotel South Beach has: The Bazaar by José Andrés and Katsuya by Starck. Schwartz is already partnered with SLS's sbe group in the form of his newest, Restaurant Michael Schwartz, opening Saturday at their newly acquired property, The Raleigh. But despite that, Schwartz, his people tell us, is genuinely not opening in Vegas. But he is consulting for sbe.
"Michael is consulting for sbe on many things, yes Vegas included, but he is not opening up a Michael Schwartz restaurant or concept there," says Genuine Hospitality Group Brand Director Jackie Sayet, who added that he is "Strictly consulting. And he is not consulting on anything at the SLS in Vegas, where Jose Andres is Culinary Director." Next!
Next rumor is that Cipriani Downtown Miami is actually, really, finally opening. That one's true. The Iegacy of Giuseppe Cipriani will indeed open at the Icon Brickell in May, says François Banos, formerly of Cipriani Downtown in NYC and now running the show on Brickell.
Last, but not least is our blind item about yet another top chef heading down to Miami, this time South Beach. To a hotel. That may or may not exist already. That's all we can say because the deal isn't yet signed. But be sure that when it is, we'll be the first to let you know.
- Top Chef Masters contestant Herb Wilson is executive chef of SoFi's forthcoming Red Ginger
- Michelle Bernstein to bring a little Crumb on Parchment to Miami Dolphins games
- Albert Trummer's Drawing Room Bar & Lounge to open at new Shelborne
- Seasalt & Pepper slammed with new lawsuits
- La Maison owes $12,922.69 in back rent
- Adria Alum opening Piripi in the Gables
- London's Coya opening on Brickell
- Unlimited tacos and beer for $18.21 debuts at Toro Toro
- New kitchen leadership at Bocce Bar
- Mignonette oyster bar in Miami's Edgwater slated for Aug. 1 opening and we have the menu!