Feast at Grill House, Miami Beach's newest kosher outpost
976 41st St, Miami Beach
Hours: 11am-11pm Sunday-Thursday, 9am-4pm Friday
Prices: Soups and salads $4.50-$12.90, sandwiches $6.95-$11.90, entrees $12.90-$29.90
Grill House is the newest kosher eatery on Miami Beach’s 41st Street. Owner Shimi Alon, a master chef who trained in Israel and France, runs the spot with his cousin Edith Shalom. Both are Israelis who now call South Florida home. They spent four months renovating the old Oasis space, making it kosher to appeal to the Orthodox Jews in the neighborhood. Every morning a mashgiah, or rabbinic supervisor, inspects the kitchen.
Grill House specializes in meat, from kebabs, rib-eye steak, and lamb ribs to burgers, Moroccan meatballs and Hungarian goulash, so there is no dairy on the menu. Creamy dips include tahini and baba ghanoush served with pita and an array of complimentary salads and spreads like spicy eggplant, roasted eggplant “liver” with lentils, corn with dill, potato salad, coleslaw, chickpea salad and Turkish-style tomato and onions in olive oil.
Eggplant is considered the national vegetable of Israel, although it is native to India and was introduced to the Mediterranean by Arab traders in the Middle Ages. Grilled eggplant shows up in the “sabich” sandwich with hard cooked egg, cucumber, and tomato and as baladi, served whole on a bed of tahini sauce with olive oil and parsley.
Other popular dishes are the Middle East platter with falafel patties, Israeli chopped salad, cracked green olives, hummus and vine leaves stuffed with herbed rice. There’s also beet salad with greens and crunchy croutons, sweet and spicy glazed chili chicken with sesame seeds, tender slow-cooked beef short ribs with beer-battered onion bread, whole baked snapper with herbs and salmon crusted in walnuts with mango salsa.
End with mint tea and a chocolate soufflé.
- Gimme A Burger's burgers will have you saying, 'Gimme'
- Southern Swank Kitchen in Davie does Southern fare right
- Sunshine Indo-Pak Grocery promises edible passage to India
- Proper Sausages finds porcine paradise in Miami Shores
- Cheen-Huaye Mexican restaurant expands menu, dining room in North Miami
- North Miami's Great Harvest meets customers' kneads
- Greek eatery Poseidon excels at grilled fish
- Zak the Baker's new bakery rises in Wynwood
- European delicacies emigrate to South Beach's new Europa Deli & Market
- Edible art is enticing at Perez Art Museum Miami's Verde