Great Grove Bed Race
No, those people pushing beds down the street are not being evicted. It's the Great Grove Bed Race!
Michelob Ultra Pajama Pub Crawl
Registration at The Sandbar, 3064 Grand Ave., Coconut Grove
6-8 pm or until sold out
The Great Grove Bed Race
Coconut Grove Village Streets
1 p.m. Celebrity Judging & Pit Row Parade (Commodore & Grand Ave)
2 – 5 p.m. Races (Grand Ave)
5 – 6 p.m. Awards and Finals (Main Stage / Grand Ave)
5 p.m. and After 'CudaPalooza Bed Race Block Party'
7 p.m. Family Pajama Party (The Barnacle) Up Past Bedtime Movie –
The Tale of Devereaux –Movie begins at 8; no admittance after 8:15p
This weekend the streets of Coconut Grove will be converted into a racetrack, but it won't be cars competing for lanes. This Sunday teams will streak down Commodore and Grand Avenue with rolling beds to raise money for the Junior Chambers Easter Seals Toy Drive and Childrens Hospital.
The teams will have to push the beds an eighth of a mile, four runners moving the beds and one in-bed rider. Each bed will be sponsored by local businesses. The top eight teams will compete, but prizes are given away for theme and decor as well as actually winning the race.
Last year's event was a huge success, with Grand Marshall rapper-reality star Vanilla Ice at the helm. The event is free for spectators.
The party kicks off Saturday night with the Pajama Pub Crawl. Participants don their PJs, pay a flat fee and receive 10 free drink coupons to be used at participating locations including Green Street, Bice, Moe's and Sand Bar.
The race takes place Sunday at 2 p.m., but come early for the Family Pajama Party with vendors, activities and food, which starts at 1 p.m.
More information at www.thegreatgrovebedrace.com.
See and Do
- Pumpkin patches, family movies & freebie crafts: Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 26-28
- Spanish singer Pitingo’s “Souleria” blends flamenco with R&B soul
- Little Havana’s Viernes Culturales still serves up Latin culture
- Gay past meets present in GableStage’s ‘Mothers and Sons’
- Seaon of the Arts: Top theater events of 2014-15
- Disney on ice, mini camps & specialty crafts - Munchkin Fun's picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 19-21
- Pop-Up Parks Sprout in Downtown Miami Parking Spaces on Friday
- Port-au-Prince Jazz fest comes to Little Haiti Cultural Center