Go Drink This: Katsuya Fresh at Katsuya South Beach
Cataloging Miami's must-have cocktails...
GO DRINK THIS
The drink: Katsuya Fresh
The price: $16
The story: The "Katsuya Fresh" is a member of a small group of signature cocktails on Katsuya's permanent menu at every location. In South Beach, it's praised for the ease with which it refreshes and pairs with sashimi and nigiri. The Fresh was created by the brand's original mixologist Portland-based Ryan Magarian, who's recognized as one of America's best bartenders and has since gone on to produce Aviation American Gin. In this cocktail, however, the base spirit is vodka and a Japanese twist comes from premium Junmai Daiginjo made by Rock Saké. Hand-crushed English cucumbers (the cucumber's more expensive sister without wax) and freshly squeezed lime juice finish the martini's light and balanced flavor profile. As you sit in the airy Art Deco-turned-mod dining room, formerly a ballroom built in 1939, enjoy how the Fresh accents the delicate pieces of fish without overpowering the nuances Katsuya wants you to experience.
Where to find it: Katsuya at the SLS Hotel, 1701 Collins Ave., Miami Beach.
- Is this South Beach spot a lounge, nightclub or restaurant?
- Where to celebrate National Martini Day in Miami
- Get your drink on while satisfying your sweet tooth at the Miami Ultimate Bartender & Dessert competition
- Why Miami's oldest bar is new again
- 9 recipes to get you in the mood for #NegroniWeek
- How to get a taste of this top South Beach hot spot without the line
- New app HOOCH is every cocktail lover's dream
- Make this cocktail: Sushi Garage's Lychee Mule
- 21 spots to get your champagne bubbly on in Miami
- Sip & Savor: mezcal for days at Clandestino Pub