Giuseppe Zanotti Interview
We chat up the bespectacled shoe hero on Kanye West, muses and lazy day activities.
Pop quiz: What do Kim Kardashian, Vanessa Hudgens, Freida Pinto, Pink and Katy Perry have in common? They’re all Giuseppe Zanotti zealots. The Milan-based shoe designer with a huge celeb following was recently in Miami for a Saks Fifth Avenue Bal Harbour personal appearance and we chatted up the bespectacled shoe hero on Kanye West, muses and lazy day activities.
When did you have the aha! moment that shoe design would be your career path? My family was in the restaurant business and I knew it wasn’t for me. I have a deep passion for women’s feet and it’s something inexplicable, really — I love creating things for them.
What was the inspiration for your current collection? Music! I wanted to give women a playlist to work with for this collection. You will see a little bit of bongo drums, rock-and-roll and hip-hop.
Seeing as you were a DJ, this makes perfect sense. Let’s discuss your men’s collection — a first for you. The sneakers are out of this world! I was scared to create a men’s collection but Kanye West told me I just had to make sneakers, so I did.
How do you pass your time while here in Miami? I like to wake up as early as 5:30 and walk along the beach. I enjoy how happy the people are here and how almost everyone wears an authentic smile.
When back home in Milan, what are your hobbies? You will find me listening to music, looking at art and having conversations with people. I also enjoy riding the trains in Italy — it frees my mind.
- Art Basel Brings a Louis Vuitton and Marcel Wanders Collaboration
- Meet Miami's Own Designer Behind The Nomadic Collector
- Shinola Opens in Wynwood
- Stuart Weitzman Knows What Women Want
- Steve Madden Celebrates 25 Years
- Pumping It Up with Aquazzura's Edgardo Osorio
- Finding Inspiration with Marchesa’s Keren Craig
- Dsquared2 Opens in South Florida
- Interview with #RICHKIDS of Beverly Hills' Roxy Sowlaty
- Interview With Miami's own Designer Ana Mari Ortega