Gin: It’s what’s in
Martin Miller likes to kick it old school. His namesake gin is made of classic, good stuff — 10 botanicals and pure Icelandic water. We talked to the British businessman about what constitutes a hot cocktail these days.
Gin is the modern landscape. Go to any ‘happening’ waterhole from Miami to Shanghai or from Sydney to Madrid, and it’s young people that you’ll see drinking gin cocktails. These days, vodka is the drink your dad drinks. What makes gin a good mixer?
Ask any mixologist worth his salt, and he will tell you that he can be more creative with gin than he can with vodka. . . . A good gin is in itself a subtle and complex mix. It’s delicious, grown-up sophistication. How do you make the perfect G&T?
I always keep my gin in the freezer; it’s very important to keep everything as cold as possible. I use a Spanish-style large-stemmed balloon glass, to hold in the bubbles, much like a champagne flute does champagne. I then add a long twist of lime peel. No pulp from the lime as this again reduces the effervescence. Then I carefully pour in the tonic down a mixing spoon allowing the tonic to find its own way around the ice, the gin and the lime. Don’t be tempted to use the spoon to mix the ingredients; stirring and mixing take the life out. What is the hot gin cocktail these days?
The Savannah that I tasted on my recent visit to Miami at the Martini Bar at the Raleigh. It’s a combination of my gin, fresh lemon juice, orange blossom honey, honeydew melon juice and a dash of orange bitters. To me, it’s Miami in a glass.
On Our Radar
- Sarah Jessica Parker popping in to Bloomingdale's Aventura
- 3 rare pre-embargo Cuban cigars to buy in Miami
- How to get the celebrity bikini body you crave
- Luis Guzman in Miami: Spanish is easier than French
- Miami artist Becky Rosa unveils massive public art installation at Wynwood gallery
- Antonio Banderas: I have an attachment to Miami
- Runway Reviews from Miami Fashion Week 2016
- Do you live in one of the most stressed out places in Florida?
- Gwen Stefani's having trouble selling tickets for tour
- Miami Fashion Week arrives with new celebs and a fresh vision