Gin: It’s what’s in
Martin Miller likes to kick it old school. His namesake gin is made of classic, good stuff — 10 botanicals and pure Icelandic water. We talked to the British businessman about what constitutes a hot cocktail these days.
Gin is the modern landscape. Go to any ‘happening’ waterhole from Miami to Shanghai or from Sydney to Madrid, and it’s young people that you’ll see drinking gin cocktails. These days, vodka is the drink your dad drinks. What makes gin a good mixer?
Ask any mixologist worth his salt, and he will tell you that he can be more creative with gin than he can with vodka. . . . A good gin is in itself a subtle and complex mix. It’s delicious, grown-up sophistication. How do you make the perfect G&T?
I always keep my gin in the freezer; it’s very important to keep everything as cold as possible. I use a Spanish-style large-stemmed balloon glass, to hold in the bubbles, much like a champagne flute does champagne. I then add a long twist of lime peel. No pulp from the lime as this again reduces the effervescence. Then I carefully pour in the tonic down a mixing spoon allowing the tonic to find its own way around the ice, the gin and the lime. Don’t be tempted to use the spoon to mix the ingredients; stirring and mixing take the life out. What is the hot gin cocktail these days?
The Savannah that I tasted on my recent visit to Miami at the Martini Bar at the Raleigh. It’s a combination of my gin, fresh lemon juice, orange blossom honey, honeydew melon juice and a dash of orange bitters. To me, it’s Miami in a glass.
On Our Radar
- Florida girl Megan Fox: Miami has changed so much
- South Florida's Johnny Depp in divorce drama
- Win a ride on the Flying Cucumber blimp on June 2
- 5 Colombian locations in Miami that Seleccion Colombia should visit
- Did your name make the list of names for the 2016 Hurricane Season?
- Blac Chyna slams body shamers
- Tracy Morgan: I feel good
- How to Do Miami Like These 9 Celebs
- Brett Ratner back home in Miami Beach
- Dance pop singer Erika Jayne performing in Wynwood