Outdoor fun this weekend
Fire up the boat, buy orchids or appreciate nature-inspired art. Just get up off the couch.
Want to get the kids away from the X-Box and the wife away from the washing machine? Here are some great activities happening this weekend for the entire family to enjoy the Florida sun. Don't forget the sunscreen!
Fairchild Artists in Bloom Exhibition and Sale
Take a walk through Fairchild's acres of lush tropical foliage as you enjoy the fantastic art of Yayoi Kusama, Cameron Gainer and more. Then stroll over to the Garden House, which will be transformed into a gallery showcasing more than 150 original oil and acrylic paintings, watercolors and botanical illustrations created by Fairchild art students and instructors. You will find exuberant and sedate landscapes, lush tropical fruit, riotous foliage, delicate flower details and sublime still-lifes hanging side by side in a visual feast of nature.
May 13-16, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651. Free with garden admission of $20, $15 seniors, $10 kids 6-17, free for kids 5 and under and members.
Redland International Orchid Show
If you are not a menace with these tricky but beautiful plants, add to your collection at the American Orchid Society's annual showcase of orchids. There will be lectures by experts, so you can find out how to not kill your plant too quickly as well as raffles and food.
May 13-15, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, Redland Fruit and Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Miami; 305-247-5727 or www.fruitandspicepark.org. $7 admission.
Enjoy the beautiful beaches and weather that South Florida has to offer, while raising funds for a worthy cause. The 14th annual event features sailing for all levels, from casual day cruising to competitive one-design racing, lobster clambake with an array of seafood, silent auction and live music. The event benefits HospiceCare of Southeast Florida Inc., a medically directed program that provides a special way of caring for patients facing end of life decisions.
May 15, Esplanade Park, 400 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; www.hospicecareflorida.orgor email@example.com. $65 per person.
See and Do
- Video: #HowTo Miami Beach
- Easter Eggstravaganzas, Free Yoga & Munchkin Gardening: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 23-29
- Saturday event provides bikers of all levels a safe path in Miami
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 20-22
- Miami Open expands entertainment options with top chefs, models and Olympians
- Billy Porter plays Colony Theater this weekend
- St. Patty’s Day Fun, Free Play, Spring Break Prep & Legos: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks Mar 16-22
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains
- 13th Annual Orchid Festival arrives this weekend
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - March 13-15