Outdoor fun this weekend
Fire up the boat, buy orchids or appreciate nature-inspired art. Just get up off the couch.
Want to get the kids away from the X-Box and the wife away from the washing machine? Here are some great activities happening this weekend for the entire family to enjoy the Florida sun. Don't forget the sunscreen!
Fairchild Artists in Bloom Exhibition and Sale
Take a walk through Fairchild's acres of lush tropical foliage as you enjoy the fantastic art of Yayoi Kusama, Cameron Gainer and more. Then stroll over to the Garden House, which will be transformed into a gallery showcasing more than 150 original oil and acrylic paintings, watercolors and botanical illustrations created by Fairchild art students and instructors. You will find exuberant and sedate landscapes, lush tropical fruit, riotous foliage, delicate flower details and sublime still-lifes hanging side by side in a visual feast of nature.
May 13-16, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables; 305-667-1651. Free with garden admission of $20, $15 seniors, $10 kids 6-17, free for kids 5 and under and members.
Redland International Orchid Show
If you are not a menace with these tricky but beautiful plants, add to your collection at the American Orchid Society's annual showcase of orchids. There will be lectures by experts, so you can find out how to not kill your plant too quickly as well as raffles and food.
May 13-15, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, Redland Fruit and Spice Park, 24801 SW 187th Ave., Miami; 305-247-5727 or www.fruitandspicepark.org. $7 admission.
Enjoy the beautiful beaches and weather that South Florida has to offer, while raising funds for a worthy cause. The 14th annual event features sailing for all levels, from casual day cruising to competitive one-design racing, lobster clambake with an array of seafood, silent auction and live music. The event benefits HospiceCare of Southeast Florida Inc., a medically directed program that provides a special way of caring for patients facing end of life decisions.
May 15, Esplanade Park, 400 SW 2nd St., Fort Lauderdale; www.hospicecareflorida.orgor firstname.lastname@example.org. $65 per person.
See and Do
- Shrek, Legos, Cinco de Mayo & Mother’s Day Treats: Munchkin Fun's Top picks May 4-10
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 1-3
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - May 1-3
- Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Parachutes & Doktor Kaboom: Munchkin Fun's Top picks Apr 27 - May 3
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - April 24-26
- ‘MythBusters’ duo gets Miami audience involved in science hijinks
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Things to do in Miami this weekend - April 24-26
- Festivals of Speed brings luxury to Museum Park
- Island City delivers the laughs and the bite in ‘Little Dog Laughed’