Get Involved - Help Haiti
There are plenty of ways to get involved and help the earthquake victims. Check out these options.
By Solange Reyner
You've already heard about the massive earthquake that hit Haiti on January 12th. Now, you can get in on helping out. There are plenty of ways to do it. We've listed some here.
Give Haitians in South Florida a chance to see their loved ones in Haiti via video teleconference. The Miami Dolphins have partnered with the University of Miami Global Institute and Project Medishare to start the initiative. Funds can be donated online at www.sunlifestadium.com or www.miamidolphins.com. The team is pledging to match every dollar donated with a two dollar contribution of its own.
Haitian native and "Heroes" cast member Jimmy Jean-Louisis is still waiting to hear word on what's happened to his parents. He's collecting donations for his foundation, Hollywood Unites For Haiti, on his website. Click here to help.
- Donate via text
There's a few places to reach out to. Donate $5 to singer Wyclef Jean's Yele foundation by texting YELE to 501501. If you want to give more, click here to access his website. You can also give money to the Red Cross by texting "Haiti" to 90999. Call in to 1-800-REDCROSS if you want to donate more or click here for the website.
- Doctors Without Borders
They're sending help, and need it, too. Help by donating with a debit or credit card here.
- Operation Helping Hands
UM Doctors are already helping victims, and UM is asking for donations to United Way's Operation Helping Hands. You can do so by clicking here.
- Fire Stations
All City of Miami Fire Stations are accepting donations of water and canned food from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Click here for locations.
See and Do
- 15 things to do with the kids Oct 5-11: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Oct. 2-4
- Wizard World Comic Con takes over the Broward Convention Center
- 15 things to do with the kids Sept 28 - Oct 4: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- Ultimate guide to luxury seats at Miami’s Sun Life Stadium
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 25-27
- House of Horrors kicks off this weekend with a concert by Silentó
- Bay Skate rolls back into Bayfront Park with a free skating party
- Broward County celebrates its 100 year anniversary with Neil Goldberg's extravaganza 'WE'
- Concerts usher in the musical sounds of the new season