Gerry Kelly returns, Peaches takes over Mansion
Miami Beach gets a dose of Gerry Kelly and a taste of Peaches while Scratch DJ Academy gets new digs.
Though South Beach vet Gerry Kelly left the beach and then sort of left the nightlife biz, branching off into an events marketing firm of his own, he hasn't abandoned his old stomping grounds and plans to return, in fact, in true Kelly pomp and circumstance. Showcasing his client, Q Lounge (841 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), as a premier events space for all occasions, Kelly is throwing a big extravaganza there on Saturday, Oct. 14. In addition to "sexy cocktails, delicious bites and amazing service," expect the sounds of DJs Ariel Assault and AJ Reddy as well as entertainment by Hot Jam Entertainment. For reservations and guest list, email email@example.com. You can take Kelly out of South Beach but . . .
Box Office Bombed
While some movies may drive you to drink, Serendipity 3 (1102 Lincoln Rd) is making it a whole lot easier, offering a special Movie Night deal in which those with movie stubs from the same day receive a free cocktail with purchase of appetizer or entree. The offer is good now through October 30 so you still have time to suffer through that Total Recall remake you've been, uh, dying to see.
Ripe for the Pickin’
The first time we ever saw raunchy electronic musician slash performance artist Peaches perform in Miami, it was at the venerable Polish American Club. Then it was at the now defunct SoHo Lounge. Now she’s doing what we never thought she’d dare do, crossing over the causeway for a little spinning gig Friday, Oct.12 at Mansion (1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), where you can bet the Berlin-based Canadian will spin her own sordid sonic web. Doors open at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25.
Before Ivy League schools like Yale offered courses on nightlife and the promotion thereof, there was the Scratch DJ Academy, which teaches academics and average Joes alike how to spin their inner Oakenfold. From 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on October 13, Scratch celebrates its 10 years in the teaching biz with a big anniversary party. The bona fide “first official DJ school in the world,” will feature their first master class with Q&A, jam sessions and panels with Miami’s top DJs and producers who will tell you that, no, not everyone with an iPad, iPod or button pushing finger, is or can be a DJ. From 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. they’ll be celebrating the opening of their Wynwood location, 450 NW 28th St., with performances by all sorts of talented folks. All events are free and open to the public. For more info, call 305-576-3868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Velvet Underground: Heavyweight champion Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs hosts fight night at Wonderland, Cuban hip hopper Danay Suarez plays North Beach, Alberto Cabrera's Bread + Butter launches happy hour
- Velvet Underground: Gratis Champagne at Duffy's in North Miami Beach, Adoré Nightclub brings Vegas to South Beach, and yoga to soothe an over-partied soul at The Standard
- Velvet Underground: Pablo Picasso's grandson spins at Bâoli for WMC, Perfecto Gastrobar throws a party for Spanish dignitaries, hipsters converge at Lulu Laboratorium in Wynwood, and escape the EDM at The Cabaret
- Velvet Underground: Miami's Latin-funk pioneers perform at Tobacco Road for 20th anniversary, E11even in downtown Miami hosts happy hour, find your way into the hottest WMC parties, and Swine celebrates one year with a $2 Old Fashioned
- Velvet Underground: Floral couture with Kalla Flowers in Coral Gables, Hearts and Stars Gala at Terra Veritatis mansion, Cuban zeitgeist, and free Guinness at the Delano on St. Patty's Day
- Velvet Underground: The World Golf Championships hits Doral, MO Bar + Lounge opens at the Mandarin Oriental with cocktails by Angelo Vieira, OTC's Jacob Anaya cooks up a feast with Wynwood Brewing Co., and the Oscars of drag at Score
- Velvet Underground: Spa party at the Viceroy, Chaos Cooking comes to Miami, Spam Allstars drop a new album, and Sunday funday at The Broken Shaker
- Velvet Underground: The Dead Rabbit pops up at Patpong Road, The Stage launches 3-2-1 Lounge, Chippendales extends its visit, and Eats N Beats in the Design District
- Velvet Underground: Valentine's Day parties takeover nightlife at Baoli, the W Fort Lauderdale, Tobacco Road, the Delano, and more
- Velvet Underground: Pirate parties at Patpong Road, Palette Miami Festival in the Upper Eastside, and a benefit for DJ Mark Leventhal at FDR at Delano