Gerry Kelly returns, Peaches takes over Mansion
Miami Beach gets a dose of Gerry Kelly and a taste of Peaches while Scratch DJ Academy gets new digs.
Though South Beach vet Gerry Kelly left the beach and then sort of left the nightlife biz, branching off into an events marketing firm of his own, he hasn't abandoned his old stomping grounds and plans to return, in fact, in true Kelly pomp and circumstance. Showcasing his client, Q Lounge (841 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), as a premier events space for all occasions, Kelly is throwing a big extravaganza there on Saturday, Oct. 14. In addition to "sexy cocktails, delicious bites and amazing service," expect the sounds of DJs Ariel Assault and AJ Reddy as well as entertainment by Hot Jam Entertainment. For reservations and guest list, email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can take Kelly out of South Beach but . . .
Box Office Bombed
While some movies may drive you to drink, Serendipity 3 (1102 Lincoln Rd) is making it a whole lot easier, offering a special Movie Night deal in which those with movie stubs from the same day receive a free cocktail with purchase of appetizer or entree. The offer is good now through October 30 so you still have time to suffer through that Total Recall remake you've been, uh, dying to see.
Ripe for the Pickin’
The first time we ever saw raunchy electronic musician slash performance artist Peaches perform in Miami, it was at the venerable Polish American Club. Then it was at the now defunct SoHo Lounge. Now she’s doing what we never thought she’d dare do, crossing over the causeway for a little spinning gig Friday, Oct.12 at Mansion (1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), where you can bet the Berlin-based Canadian will spin her own sordid sonic web. Doors open at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25.
Before Ivy League schools like Yale offered courses on nightlife and the promotion thereof, there was the Scratch DJ Academy, which teaches academics and average Joes alike how to spin their inner Oakenfold. From 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on October 13, Scratch celebrates its 10 years in the teaching biz with a big anniversary party. The bona fide “first official DJ school in the world,” will feature their first master class with Q&A, jam sessions and panels with Miami’s top DJs and producers who will tell you that, no, not everyone with an iPad, iPod or button pushing finger, is or can be a DJ. From 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. they’ll be celebrating the opening of their Wynwood location, 450 NW 28th St., with performances by all sorts of talented folks. All events are free and open to the public. For more info, call 305-576-3868 or email email@example.com.
- These Miami summer nights: happy hours, live music, DJ Irie and free champagne!
- A Miami melange of martinis, shrimp, tacos, and silent discos
- Sugar Factory goes to the movies, Michael's Genuine cooks up a summer series, the Copa at AmSo, and 20 years of Jazid
- A ducky night in Wynwood, beach party on Key Biscayne, PYTs at LIV and Manhattans on Ocean Drive
- Winning and whimsy in Wynwood, high camp at Hyde Beach, and sangria on Sundays
- Boogie down at the Boca Raton Resort & Club with disco legends and Jellybean Benitez
- Radio benefit in Wynwood, Talib Kweli, YoungArts, movies on the sand and National Wine Day
- Fleetwood Mac gets Electric Pickled, vodka & graffiti in the Design District, Persian New Year and lineups at LIV and STORY
- Ringside at E11EVEN, a Marley at Wynwood Yard, Sake Mondays at Katsuya, Yappy Hour at Lique & Jellybean does disco at Boca Resort
- Paint party at Fire & Ice, bike to PAMM, Cinco de Mayo at E11EVEN and Jazz at Wynwood Yard