Gerry Kelly returns, Peaches takes over Mansion
Miami Beach gets a dose of Gerry Kelly and a taste of Peaches while Scratch DJ Academy gets new digs.
Though South Beach vet Gerry Kelly left the beach and then sort of left the nightlife biz, branching off into an events marketing firm of his own, he hasn't abandoned his old stomping grounds and plans to return, in fact, in true Kelly pomp and circumstance. Showcasing his client, Q Lounge (841 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), as a premier events space for all occasions, Kelly is throwing a big extravaganza there on Saturday, Oct. 14. In addition to "sexy cocktails, delicious bites and amazing service," expect the sounds of DJs Ariel Assault and AJ Reddy as well as entertainment by Hot Jam Entertainment. For reservations and guest list, email email@example.com. You can take Kelly out of South Beach but . . .
Box Office Bombed
While some movies may drive you to drink, Serendipity 3 (1102 Lincoln Rd) is making it a whole lot easier, offering a special Movie Night deal in which those with movie stubs from the same day receive a free cocktail with purchase of appetizer or entree. The offer is good now through October 30 so you still have time to suffer through that Total Recall remake you've been, uh, dying to see.
Ripe for the Pickin’
The first time we ever saw raunchy electronic musician slash performance artist Peaches perform in Miami, it was at the venerable Polish American Club. Then it was at the now defunct SoHo Lounge. Now she’s doing what we never thought she’d dare do, crossing over the causeway for a little spinning gig Friday, Oct.12 at Mansion (1235 Washington Ave., Miami Beach), where you can bet the Berlin-based Canadian will spin her own sordid sonic web. Doors open at 11 p.m. Tickets are $25.
Before Ivy League schools like Yale offered courses on nightlife and the promotion thereof, there was the Scratch DJ Academy, which teaches academics and average Joes alike how to spin their inner Oakenfold. From 2:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. on October 13, Scratch celebrates its 10 years in the teaching biz with a big anniversary party. The bona fide “first official DJ school in the world,” will feature their first master class with Q&A, jam sessions and panels with Miami’s top DJs and producers who will tell you that, no, not everyone with an iPad, iPod or button pushing finger, is or can be a DJ. From 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. they’ll be celebrating the opening of their Wynwood location, 450 NW 28th St., with performances by all sorts of talented folks. All events are free and open to the public. For more info, call 305-576-3868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Velvet Underground: The Stage welcomes Big Sam's Funky Nation for 'Soulfest Weekend' plus more poolside fashion flows at Fifty Miami
- Velvet Underground: A daytime salute to Overtown with music and art and Swim Week cascades through South Beach
- Velvet Underground: Huahua's Taqueria launches a hot happy hour series and The Duke Lounge/Gallery opens in Little Havana
- Velvet Underground: An all-American party at the National Hotel and Nikki Beach celebrates bacon on the beach
- Velvet Underground: party like a local at Rec Room on Thursdays and eat your way through Brickell with The Kitchen Hop
- Velvet Underground: Celebrate singledom with a bonafide 'Divorce Party' in South Beach, the Biltmore brings it back to the '80s, Gerry Kelly's annual birthday bash returns, and YoungArts presents new salon series
- Velvet Underground: Macchialina presents bartender Robert Ferrara in this month's bar takeover, Jazid on South Beach turns 18, and The Federal Food, Drink & Provisions hosts Solo Cup Sundays
- Velvet Underground: Yet another reason to raise your Negroni this week, DJ Roger Sanchez doles out a serious dose of disco at Story, and sing to win the Ultimate Miami Voice
- Velvet Underground: Summertime happy hour at Wynwood Kitchen & Bar, South Beach's Mr. Melvin Show welcomes Jon Secada, Fiesta Friday at Duffy's, Privileged Sundays return to the Delano, and the National Hotel launches party with vintage cocktails
- Velvet Underground: Hyde-out for the NBA Playoffs, Orange Blossom in South Beach launches high-end happy hour, a chic soirée with Barbara Hulanicki of "Biba," and get wet this weekend at the W Fort Lauderdale