Preview some of the menu at Georgia's Union, opening on Saturday, June 16
After a complete revamp, Morgan's soulful sister is ready for her close-up
After a complete revamp that only started last month, the space formerly known as Morgan's on the Beach is now ready to reveal its latest incarnation as Georgia's Union, an organic soul food restaurant, opening to the public for dinner starting at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.
The owners, who wanted to--dare we say--exorcise all remnants of its beloved Broadway-production Joe Allen, have done an impressive job. Georgia's Union's exposed beams and lush plants contribute to a more open, airy, almost garden-like experience than its predecessor. "It's like dining on your grandmother's porch," says a rep. Or, if your grandma's porch was a Sesame Street-like stoop in the city, it's like dining on your friend's grandmother's porch somewhere in the country. And lest you forget you're in a soul food spot, Georgia's soundtrack features tunes by Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, and Roberta Flack, among others.
While the southern comfy menu leans toward the traditional, expect a few deviations and modern twists. But when it comes to ingredients, expect little to no deviations: dishes, they insist, will only be made from local farm to table ingredients, free range chickens, and organic collard greens. The only exception to that local rule are the organically grown Georgia harvested peaches for the fresh peach cobbler.
About that menu, we scored a sliver of a sneak at some of it. Here you go:
1787 Purdy Ave.
Miami Beach, FL
- Food Network chef Ben Vaughn joins Swine Southern Table & Bar for 2-month takeover
- Michael Pirolo, Aaron Brooks & Niven Patel join Kaytlin Brakefield on 3-course collab
- Chef Michael Schwartz to open Fi’lia, a new Italian concept, in Brickell in fall of 2016
- Move over koji: The "Approachable" Restaurant is Miami's latest, hottest food trend
- Picking your political poison: Broken Shaker debuts the Sorry Donald cocktail
- Who makes Miami's prettiest latte?
- 9 recipes to get you in the mood for #NegroniWeek
- Eating House's Giorgio Rapicavoli's 2-night Azul collaboration
- Donuts and cocktails for Friday's National Donut Day
- A new Top 10: 4-star Plant Food and Wine tops 2016's best-reviewed restaurants