Preview some of the menu at Georgia's Union, opening on Saturday, June 16
After a complete revamp, Morgan's soulful sister is ready for her close-up
After a complete revamp that only started last month, the space formerly known as Morgan's on the Beach is now ready to reveal its latest incarnation as Georgia's Union, an organic soul food restaurant, opening to the public for dinner starting at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.
The owners, who wanted to--dare we say--exorcise all remnants of its beloved Broadway-production Joe Allen, have done an impressive job. Georgia's Union's exposed beams and lush plants contribute to a more open, airy, almost garden-like experience than its predecessor. "It's like dining on your grandmother's porch," says a rep. Or, if your grandma's porch was a Sesame Street-like stoop in the city, it's like dining on your friend's grandmother's porch somewhere in the country. And lest you forget you're in a soul food spot, Georgia's soundtrack features tunes by Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, and Roberta Flack, among others.
While the southern comfy menu leans toward the traditional, expect a few deviations and modern twists. But when it comes to ingredients, expect little to no deviations: dishes, they insist, will only be made from local farm to table ingredients, free range chickens, and organic collard greens. The only exception to that local rule are the organically grown Georgia harvested peaches for the fresh peach cobbler.
About that menu, we scored a sliver of a sneak at some of it. Here you go:
Tomato and Cucumber Salad Green Garden Organics sunflower greens toasted sunflower seeds, house-made farmers cheese, oil and vinegar half 6 full 11
Sweet Corn Hushpuppies roasted garlic aioli 7
Duck & Dumplings pulled meat, root vegetables, potato dumplings, roasted duck gravy 8
Oven Roasted Cornish Game Hen organic vegetable stuffing, preserved lemons 17
Braised Grass-Fed Oxtail "off the bone", table wine jus 18
"Candied Yams" pecan honey gratin 6
Black-Eyed Peas smoked hamhocks 5
Dinner served with Buckwheat Biscuits, Corn-Flax Muffins, whipped organic butter, and Dansk Farms Honeycomb
- Morimoto South Beach launches $65 'Greatest Hits' menu
- Vikram Katoch appointed new executive chef at Bianca
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Caviar launches Miami delivery service from Blue Collar, Miami Smokers and more
- BBQ night at Harry's Pizzeria
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables
- Lindsay Autry, Xavier Torres, Todd Erickson, Jason Pringle, & Richard Hales to compete in Cochon 555
- Phuc-in Yay! Phuc Yea! Vietnamese pop-up to go permanent mid-May
- Coya Miami opening Thursday, February 19
- 3.5 star review can't keep 27 open; Broken Shaker, restaurant shut temporarily at Freehand