Preview some of the menu at Georgia's Union, opening on Saturday, June 16
After a complete revamp, Morgan's soulful sister is ready for her close-up
After a complete revamp that only started last month, the space formerly known as Morgan's on the Beach is now ready to reveal its latest incarnation as Georgia's Union, an organic soul food restaurant, opening to the public for dinner starting at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.
The owners, who wanted to--dare we say--exorcise all remnants of its beloved Broadway-production Joe Allen, have done an impressive job. Georgia's Union's exposed beams and lush plants contribute to a more open, airy, almost garden-like experience than its predecessor. "It's like dining on your grandmother's porch," says a rep. Or, if your grandma's porch was a Sesame Street-like stoop in the city, it's like dining on your friend's grandmother's porch somewhere in the country. And lest you forget you're in a soul food spot, Georgia's soundtrack features tunes by Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, and Roberta Flack, among others.
While the southern comfy menu leans toward the traditional, expect a few deviations and modern twists. But when it comes to ingredients, expect little to no deviations: dishes, they insist, will only be made from local farm to table ingredients, free range chickens, and organic collard greens. The only exception to that local rule are the organically grown Georgia harvested peaches for the fresh peach cobbler.
About that menu, we scored a sliver of a sneak at some of it. Here you go:
1787 Purdy Ave.
Miami Beach, FL
- Michael Schwartz's Fi'lia opens in Brickell next week
- Brazil's 24/7 French bistro Paris 6 opening October 24 on Miami Beach
- Mignonette opening second location in ex-Gourmet Diner space on Biscayne
- Ferran Adrià, Jorge Muñoz, Aaron Mulliss & Nick Beardshaw in Miami for Estrella Damm Gastronomy Congress
- Soyka's second act: Miami restaurateur to open first restaurant in 15 years
- Big name chefs heading to Hyde Beach on September 22 for Hunger Action Month
- Ex Milos chef to head up kitchen at Miami River Greek spot, KIKI on the River
- Rick Bayless restaurant Red O opening in downtown Miami next summer
- Where sushi blends old world and new on South Beach
- Top 5 Arepas in Miami from Yelp