George Balanchine’s ‘The Nutcracker’
If you only see one version of ‘The Nutcracker’ this year, it should be the Miami City Ballet.
There are almost as many reasons to see Miami City Ballet’s production of Balanchine’s template version of this holiday ballet as gifts under your tree (or menorah). It’s got marvelous dancers in a beautiful production that’s incontestably the best in South Florida. And Balanchine makes theatrical magic, whether a whirling ballerina snowstorm or finding the strange sweet spot where a child’s imagination transforms reality and takes adults along for the ride.
Through Dec. 24 at the Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. Performances are 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sunday, and 1 p.m. Monday. Tickets are $20 to $74 at www.miamicityballet.org or 305-929-7010.
See and Do
- 12 Things You Didn't Know about Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Surreal dance stories from Cuba
- Miami.com debuts ‘Ocho de Noche’ series with exclusive event at Teatro Trail on Aug. 26
- A complete guide to Miami's many museums
- 3 movies to see, 2 to skip this weekend June 17-19
- 3 movies to see, 2 to skip this weekend June 10-12
- Ultimate Guide to Broward County Museums
- Ultimate Guide to Miami's Museums
- Are you ready for a Miami art festival celebrating nudity and eroticism?
- 7 museums to visit during Miami Museum Month