George Balanchine’s ‘The Nutcracker’
If you only see one version of ‘The Nutcracker’ this year, it should be the Miami City Ballet.
There are almost as many reasons to see Miami City Ballet’s production of Balanchine’s template version of this holiday ballet as gifts under your tree (or menorah). It’s got marvelous dancers in a beautiful production that’s incontestably the best in South Florida. And Balanchine makes theatrical magic, whether a whirling ballerina snowstorm or finding the strange sweet spot where a child’s imagination transforms reality and takes adults along for the ride.
Through Dec. 24 at the Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. Performances are 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sunday, and 1 p.m. Monday. Tickets are $20 to $74 at www.miamicityballet.org or 305-929-7010.
See and Do
- 6 ways to tap into the Miami-London love affair
- Ayikodans offers a prayer in the form of dance for its sixth season at the Arsht Center
- 7 best bets for live music this weekend
- 'Peppa Pig’ makes a splash with live shows in South Florida
- A 'Sound of Music’ that hits many of the right notes
- Pérez Art Museum Miami: 9 features you won’t want to miss
- DWNTWN Art Days 2015 this weekend
- Schmooze Over Miami teaches history through a theatrical pub crawl
- PAMM Third Thursdays: Poplife Social featuring Million Young
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday