George Balanchine’s ‘The Nutcracker’
If you only see one version of ‘The Nutcracker’ this year, it should be the Miami City Ballet.
There are almost as many reasons to see Miami City Ballet’s production of Balanchine’s template version of this holiday ballet as gifts under your tree (or menorah). It’s got marvelous dancers in a beautiful production that’s incontestably the best in South Florida. And Balanchine makes theatrical magic, whether a whirling ballerina snowstorm or finding the strange sweet spot where a child’s imagination transforms reality and takes adults along for the ride.
Through Dec. 24 at the Adrienne Arsht Center, 1300 Biscayne Blvd., Miami. Performances are 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Sunday, and 1 p.m. Monday. Tickets are $20 to $74 at www.miamicityballet.org or 305-929-7010.
See and Do
- Russian pianist plays Wynwood on Friday
- Siempre Flamenco hosts Cafe Cantante at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center
- The Rhythm Foundation's Dance Band Night kicks off with The French Horn
- What if Works presents Chekhov's 'The Cherry Orchard'
- A more modest ‘Anything Goes’ docks at the Broward Center
- Little Havana Visitor Center opens on Calle Ocho
- Bayfront Park upgrades summer lineup in downtown Miami
- The Beatles arrive at HistoryMiami
- Photo exhibit at UM Art Gallery explores life on the Texas High Plains
- #HowToMiami - Street Art