Gabrielle Union the special guest at screening
WPBT2 will host a free preview screening and reception of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide on Thursday, September 27 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center in Miami. Featured guest, Gabrielle Union will be in attendance. Union will discuss her experiences while visiting Vietnam during the filming of the documentary as well as answer audience questions.
The event begins with a reception and live music at 6:30 p.m. After the screening, audience members will also have a chance to ask questions to a panel of local experts from the Miami International Rescue Committee, Kristi House, Department of Homeland Security and Vida Legal Services.
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, filmed in 10 countries and inspired by the best-selling book by Pulitzer Prize-winning authors Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, is driven by the growing awareness that empowering women is the best way to increase prosperity and stability around the globe. Six talented actress-advocates — Eva Mendes, Meg Ryan, Gabrielle Union, Diane Lane, America Ferrera, and Olivia Wilde — join Kristof as he travels to Asia and Africa to meet face-to-face with inspiring individuals working to bring about change and the women and girls who confront extreme gender inequality in their daily lives.
Those interested in attending must RSVP to Kristina Gutierrez at email@example.com or 305-424-4025.
On Our Radar
- Maria Menounos talks new show, book and dieting
- Is Star Island losing its luster?
- Keith Richards' daughter Alexandra spins for crowd
- Models & bottles: Leonardo DiCaprio does Miami Beach
- The Rock literally battles it out in new movie Hercules
- Mario Lopez parties on yacht in Miami Beach
- Models spotted at Swim Week
- Cool and crafty event at Aventura Mall
- Roselyn Sánchez dishes on ‘Devious Maids,’ singing and new Spanish comedy
- Local bachelor appears in the nude on reality show