Gabrielle Union the special guest at screening
WPBT2 will host a free preview screening and reception of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide on Thursday, September 27 at the Little Haiti Cultural Center in Miami. Featured guest, Gabrielle Union will be in attendance. Union will discuss her experiences while visiting Vietnam during the filming of the documentary as well as answer audience questions.
The event begins with a reception and live music at 6:30 p.m. After the screening, audience members will also have a chance to ask questions to a panel of local experts from the Miami International Rescue Committee, Kristi House, Department of Homeland Security and Vida Legal Services.
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, filmed in 10 countries and inspired by the best-selling book by Pulitzer Prize-winning authors Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, is driven by the growing awareness that empowering women is the best way to increase prosperity and stability around the globe. Six talented actress-advocates — Eva Mendes, Meg Ryan, Gabrielle Union, Diane Lane, America Ferrera, and Olivia Wilde — join Kristof as he travels to Asia and Africa to meet face-to-face with inspiring individuals working to bring about change and the women and girls who confront extreme gender inequality in their daily lives.
Those interested in attending must RSVP to Kristina Gutierrez at email@example.com or 305-424-4025.
On Our Radar
- Shane Battier and his annual Battioke brings out NBA stars
- Barbara Streisand coming to Miami area before the holidays
- Moet bottle made just for Miami champagne lovers
- Khloe Kardashian shows off her new boyfriend in Miami
- Kim Kardashian's midnight tanning session in Miami
- 'Selma' star David Oyelowo in Miami
- Donald Trump and Kanye West to Cause Traffic Kerfuffle in Miami
- Vogue with Madonna at Art Basel
- Kourtney Kardashian in Miami with Scott Disick
- Kanye West's five weirdest (and greatest) stories of 2016 (so far)