Fusion & Flavors
Fusion & Flavors promise hidden delights in Oakland Park
Fusion & Flavors is a sunny little storefront hidden away in a strip mall on U.S. 1 in Oakland Park. The name reflects the Spanish, Japanese, Chinese and African influences on Peru's aromatic cuisine, but it also says something about how owner Miguel Angel Huaylla came to this cozy spot. Turns out the Lima native and restaurateur had his first American job cooking Irish dishes in Indiana, then moved on to South Florida restaurants such as Timpano, Seasons 52, Bova and Mancini's, learning a lot about Italian and American cuisine along the way.
So the menu includes dishes like seafood fra diavolo as well as lomo saltado are included on his inexpensive menu. We lean toward his authentic Peruvian fare, starting with an order of refreshing ceviche (be careful carrying the box since it has lots of citrusy juices), with a generous amount of corvina, chunks of sweet potatoes, thin slices of red onions, crunchy cancha (like Peruvian popcorn) and large kernels of Peruvian corn with a hint of cilantro, lime and Peru's fiery rojoto pepper. Causa is a round stack of lots of shredded white chicken between layers of mashed potatoes (usually there's avocado, but they had run out so we got extra potatoes), garnished with kalamata olives and set in creamy olive and rocoto sauces.
We liked classics like lomo saltado, with strips of skirt steak (get filet mignon for $2 more), french fries and sliced tomatoes and onions in a savory, garlic-scented sauce with red and white wine; chaufa, Peru's version of fried rice; and aji de gallina (shredded chicken bathed in a silky yellow pepper sauce, served on rice). On the weekend, Huaylla offers specials like saffron risotto and lamb shank. We ended with alfajor, a cookie filled with a layer of dulce de leche -- a sweet taste of Peru in Oakland Park.
Fusion & Flavors
3347 N. Federal Hwy, Oakland Park
Hours: 11:30am-9pm daily
Price Range: Appetizers $4.75-$13.99, entrees $9.75-$13.75, dessert $2-$3.99
FYI: Delivery for order over $10 ($3 charge; area extends east to the beach, north to Cypress Boulevard, south to Sunrise Boulevard and west to Interstate 95); MC, VS.
- Aventura Mall's Bloomingdale’s cafe offers a break from shopping craze
- Makis Place adds more sushi to the Grove
- Bite into grab-and-go gourmet at Fort Lauderdale's Rumi
- Pao Town brings Asian street food to Coral Gables
- Stay in with homey Colombian fare from Davie's La Placita
- Stay in with grilled cheese from Mr. Cheezious
- Stay in with healthy fast food at Fort Lauderdale's Energy Kitchen
- BBQ, margaritas and music await at Brother Jimmy's in South Miami
- Agave Mexican serves Mexican fusion in Deerfield Beach
- Hallandale’s HomeTown Buffet is a buffet bonanza