Funkshion: Fashion Week Miami Beach
Fashion hits the beach this weekend during Funkshion: Fashion Week Miami Beach. And best of all, it's free.
By Fred Gonzalez
Miami and fashion are as synonymous as Crockett and Tubbs.
Starting Wednesday, FUNKSHION: Fashion Week Miami Beach returns for its 10th season, combining some of the best in fashion and some of the best in parties. The shows and soirees will take place in a state-of-the-art fashion pod built on the sand at 11th Street and Ocean Drive in Lummus Park. The area will feature three unique venues with a large courtyard for afterparties. In an effort to support the eco movement, the courtyard and main fashion venues will feature real grass.
In the days following opening night (which includes a runway show featuring Jennifer Lopez's Sweetface line), Funkshion: Fashion will move to the Setai Hotel to host Fisico by Cristina Ferrari from Milan. Shows at the Setai will take place with a runway built directly over the pool.
Other highlights in the tents on Ocean Drive are Justin Timberlake's clothing line, William Rast, the debut of Russell Simmons's new Argyle line, as well as Puma, Marceau/D'Amore by Marceau and LE JEAN DE by Marithé François Girbaud.
Saturday's shows could be the hottest of the week: Heatherette (they chose to do Funkshion over New York and Los Angeles Fashion Weeks this year) and the Jockstarzz fashion show benefiting the Kevin Everett Foundation.
The show will bring several National Football League players together to tackle the runway for a one-night-only charity event in support of Everett, the former University of Miami and current Buffalo Bills football player who was paralyzed during the first week of the NFL season, but has since made a miraculous full recovery. Producers Cool and Dre will mix it up on the runway as they debut their clothing line, Dirty Royalty. Cool will also be the musical "Jock Star'' on the turntables for both the fashion show and afterparty.
If you want to get your fashion groove on this weekend, this is the place to do it as celebrity DJs preside over each runway show. Guests will be able to re-fuel in Red Bull's Energy Station and enjoy Hennessy, Belvedere vodka and 10 Cane rum at the afterparties.
All shows will be broadcast live on LiveVideo.com/fashionweekmiami; go to Fashionweekmiami.com for more info on how to get free tickets.
- 5 reasons why mango season is the best time to be in Miami
- 5 kinds of guys you'll wind up meeting in Miami's dating scene
- Friends of The Underline hosts #PokemonGoUnderline social media contest
- So you think you can dance? Prove it on National Dance Day with the Miami City Ballet
- 7 things you must taste when in Miami
- 9 Instagram-Worthy Photo Opps in Miami
- 10 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - July 22-24
- Things we discovered on a 74-mile car trip on the Tamiami Trail from Miami to Naples
- Finding craft beer at Miami sports venues
- 9 events you can't miss in Miami - August 2016