Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Nov. 22-24
Fun on a dime with Miami on the Cheap.
As Art Basel approaches, South Florida cultural life is heating up, with more and more free and cheap opportunities to hang out, see art and hear music.
This weekend is the Miami Book Fair International, and admission to the street fair is free on Friday. Gallery shows are popping up all over.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun for Nov. 22-24.
Free and cheap movies
Friday night is Cult Film Movie Night at Pinecrest Gardens, with “Sex and the City” at 8 p.m. Happy hour starts at 6:30 p.m., with snacks and drinks available for purchase. Over in Coral Gables, you’ve got a chance to see another cult classic: “Annie Hall” will be shown free at the Miracle Theatre at 11:30 p.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday. While the movie screenings, sponsored by Actors Playhouse, are free, you need tickets.
See the New World Symphony on the wall
The popular outdoor Wallcast of the New World Symphony concert is at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, with a program of Sibelius. You can watch the concert free on a 7,000-square-foot screen outside. Snacks and drinks are available for purchase or bring your own.
Jazz on the Fairway in Miami Lakes
The Town of Miami Lakes is hosting a free outdoor jazz concert at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Senator Course at Shula’s Golf Club. Featured performers are the Debbie Orta Jazz Quintet and Paulette Dozier. Bring chairs, blankets and a picnic or buy food from vendors.
Remembering Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona
Barry University’s musical ensembles will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the death of Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona with a free concert at 7 p.m. Sunday at the campus’ Shepard and Ruth K. Broad Performing Arts Center. The concert will include performances by the school’s Brazilian Percussion Ensemble, Repertoire Dance Ensemble and classical vocalists Beverly Coulter, Marinel Cruz, Fernando Gonzalez and Eduardo San Emetrio. The concert also will include selections from Robert Ray’s Gospel Mass.
Create your own art at The Bass
Sunday is the free IDEA@thebass family day with free admission for all from 2 to 4 p.m., and special projects for kids. This month’s theme is “Art With Words.” This is the last IDEA@thebass for 2013. The next free afternoon will be Jan. 27, 2014.
See and Do
- Cinderella, robots, date night & Munchkin Fun's top 10 picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 18-20
- Overtown Music and Arts Festival 2014
- Ice cream parties, kids carnivals & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 11-13
- Colombian mangoes will be the star at this weekend’s Mango Festival at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
- Dennis Miller performs Sunday with Dana Carvey at Seminole Hard Rock
- Free movies, camp, crafts & Munchkin Fun's top picks for your post-holiday week
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 4-6
- Fireworks, festivals, parades & Munchkin Fun's top picks for the week