Free and cheap things to do in Miami - May 17-19
Miami on the Cheaps helps us find the best things to do on a budget.
As we head from spring into summer, we're finding lots of fun activities to do both inside and out. There is still time to enjoy street festivals and outdoor movies, but we also have some indoor options that are free and cheap.
Four South Florida attractions have released the Summer Savings Pass, which gives you unlimited access for one price through Sept. 30 to the Miami Seaquarium, ZooMiami, Lion Country Safari and the Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale. Miami Museum Month continues, and that means two-for-one admission to 23 South Florida museums, plus perks for members.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun May 17-19.
All-night music party in Coral Gables
The 300 block of Alhambra Circle in Coral Gables will be turned into a giant dance floor and party scene from 5 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday when The Globe Café throws its 10th annual CubaLibre BlockParty. The entertainment is free, with performances by Los 3 De La Habana, Edwin Bonilla y su Son, MC DJ El Russo and DJ Nelly. Food and drink will be for sale.
Grow your own fruit and shade
Miami-Dade County residents of single-family homes or duplexes can get two free trees a year from the county, and the first giveaway is Sunday in North Miami Beach. Residents can choose mango, carambola, pigeon plum, jackfruit or green buttonwood. The next country tree giveaways are in July and September.
Free cinema under the stars
Film lovers have a choice of free outdoor movies Friday night. In Brickell, the offering is "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade," at 8 p.m. Or, you can see "The Smurfs" at 8:15 p.m. at the North Shore Park Bandshell.
Marching 'oompah' Klezmer, Latin band
This may be your first chance ever to march along South Beach with a band of accordions. The "Accordion Invasion" begins at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at The Betsy Hotel and then heads toward Lincoln Road starting at 7 p.m. The evening ends in a free concert at 8 p.m. at ArtCenter South Florida. The event is sponsored by Next @19th and features Klezmer musician Shlomo Geva and Latin accordion diva Maricarmen Vazquez.
Food truck roundup and free concert
It's time for the monthly Wheelin', Dealin' Street Food Festival at Magic City Casino in Miami, which goes from 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday. At 9 p.m., you can see a free concert by Aaron Carter, the pop and hip-hop singer who is in the midst of his national After Party Tour.
See and Do
- City Theatre and Island City Stage team up for Shorts Gone Wild
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July 27 - Aug 2
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 24-26
- Overtown Music & Arts Festival is a soulful afternoon in historic Miami neighborhood
- International Salsa Festival takes over Tamiami Park for three days of salsa's finest performers
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July20-26
- Free and Cheap things to do in Miami - July 17-19
- The Project [theatre] takes over Bardot with immersive hip hop theater
- 15 things to do with the kids in Miami July 13-19: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- ‘Operation Pedro Pan: The Cuban Children’s Exodus' at HistoryMiami commemorates a dramatic migration