Free and cheap things to do in Miami - June 21-23
Miami on the Cheap gives you a weekend itinerary that won't break the bank.
The weather is warming up, but it’s never too warm for a free outdoor music festival. This weekend brings two, one Friday night in Coconut Grove and one Saturday afternoon in Overtown, plus Big Night in Little Haiti.
If you’re wondering what to do with your kids this summer, check out our list of 20 free and cheap things for Miami-Dade kids to do this summer. To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun June 21-23.
Big Night in Little Haiti
Friday night is the Summer Solstice, and that coincides with this month’s free Big Night in Little Haiti, inside and outside the Little Haiti Cultural Center from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Singer Stevy Mahy, born in Paris and raised in Guadeloupe, will perform kreyol folk music, in honor of the international Fete de la Musique being celebrated worldwide. Donna Karan’s “Discover Haiti” exhibit will be in the gallery, and there will be kids’ activities, too.
Fete de la Musique
The Summer Solstice and the international Fete de la Musique will also be celebrated Friday night in Coconut Grove, with musicians organized by the Miami Conservatory of Music playing in 17 locations on the streets of the Grove form 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. (and even later inside some of the bars and clubs). The event is free.
Overtown Rhythm & Arts Festival
The free Overtown Rhythm & Arts Festival will feature some of Miami’s top musicians from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday on Northwest Third Avenue, between Ninth and 11th streets in Miami. Performers will include Q Parker, Nicole Henry, Melton Mustafa, Earnest Walker Jr., Deep Fried Funk, J.J. and the Connections and the Booker T. Washington Marching Band. In addition, there will be art, food and kids’ activities.
Dino-MITE at the Miami Children’s Museum
This Friday is the regular Target Free Third Friday Event at the Miami Children’s Museum. That means free admission from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m., with arts and crafts, activities and a chance to see the new Dino Island exhibit. The exhibit includes a 2,500-square-foot Jurassic environment populated with 11 robotic dinosaurs.
Free movie in Brickell
You can see a free outdoor movie this weekend at Brickell World Plaza, which will present “War Horse” at 8 p.m. Friday. Parking is free in the surface lot, and chair rentals are available. You can bring your own snacks and drinks, but no glass containers. The adventure film is rated PG.
See and Do
- Discover Miami's Little Haiti neighbhorhood
- He was told as a boy he'd have to go to a deaf school—but he grew up to help make the music to Hamilton
- Las Olas Art Fair takes over the streets of Fort Lauderdale this weekend
- Coral Gables Hispanic Cultural Festival takes over the streets of City Beautiful
- 5 reasons you should check out the Mammography Art Initiative in Wynwood this weekend
- 7 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Oct. 21-23
- Miami's cultural itinerary courtesy of Prism Creative Group - Oct. 16-31
- Find your happy place at the Modern Life Mindfulness Festival
- Grovetoberfest Celebrates Six Years of Craft Beer
- Can this Miami political roast Make America Laugh Again? Let's hope so