Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Feb. 14-16
Miami on the Cheap dishes on what's going on in South Florida this weekend for the budget-conscious.
It’s Presidents’ Day weekend, meaning an extra day to enjoy South Florida’s glorious winter weather for those lucky enough to have Monday off.
This weekend’s free art walks are in South Miami from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday and 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday in the Bird Road Arts District. You can see free movies Friday night at the North Shore Park Band Shell in Miami Beach and at Arts Park in Hollywood.
On Saturday, you can get free admission to Pinecrest Gardens to celebrate Cognac Day and all things French.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun Feb. 7-9:
Free Valentine’s Day concert
Date night can’t get much cheaper than a free concert, and Miami-Dade Parks is presenting Andy Harlow and the Charanga Time Band at 8 p.m. Friday at Tropical Park. Harlow’s “Charanga-style” music mixes Latin rhythms with trombones, violins and flute. Bring your date and your dancing shoes. Parking is also free.
Free entry to Everglades National Park
In honor of Presidents’ Day, entry to all U.S. national parks is free this weekend, Saturday through Monday. It’s the perfect time to visit Everglades National Park, one of the parks that will waive admission fees. (Biscayne National Park in Miami is always free.) On Saturday and Sunday, you can get a free guided trolley ride from downtown Homestead to Everglades National Park, Biscayne National Park or Homestead’s Bayfront Park.
Free Sunday afternoon jazz
The Jazz in the Gables Concert series offers free noontime jazz on Wednesdays and also at a few other times. At 4 p.m. Sunday in the Coral Gables Museum Plaza, hear award-winning vocalist Wendy Pedersen and pianist Jim Gasior perform.
Classical music at the cathedral
Music in Miami presents the Crosstown String Quartet in concert at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at Trinity Cathedral in Miami. The program will include works by Rimelis, Rodriguez, Villa-Lobos, Dvorak, Piazzolla and Bartok. There is no charge for admission, but donations will be accepted.
Food trucks and Four Seasons
The Magic City Casino’s monthly Wheelin’ Dealin’ Street Food Festival features a food truck roundup from 5 to 10 p.m. Saturday, as well as a free concert at Secada’s. The performance by Ragdoll, a tribute to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, is open to all ages. It starts at 8 p.m.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
See and Do
- City Theatre and Island City Stage team up for Shorts Gone Wild
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July 27 - Aug 2
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - July 24-26
- Overtown Music & Arts Festival is a soulful afternoon in historic Miami neighborhood
- International Salsa Festival takes over Tamiami Park for three days of salsa's finest performers
- Munchkin Fun's top picks for family fun July20-26
- Free and Cheap things to do in Miami - July 17-19
- The Project [theatre] takes over Bardot with immersive hip hop theater
- 15 things to do with the kids in Miami July 13-19: Munchkin Fun's Top Picks
- ‘Operation Pedro Pan: The Cuban Children’s Exodus' at HistoryMiami commemorates a dramatic migration