Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Aug. 16-18
Miami on the Cheap tells us what to do this weekend that won't send you to the poorhouse.
The heat goes on, and while summer vacation is ending for school kids, summer shows no sign of stopping, at least when it comes to weather. The only thing to do is grab as much fun as we can, indoors and out.
If you love fine dining, you can get deals at some of Miami-Dade's best restaurants with Miami Spice throughout August and September.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun Aug. 16-18.
Big Night, Big Music in Little Haiti
Friday night is the monthly free Big Night in Little Haiti event, which includes music, art, food and activities for children from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Little Haiti Cultural Center. This Friday's musical event is “A Tale of 2 Nations,” with Estrelha Brilante, maracatu from Recife Brazil, and Rasin Lakay from Little Haiti. Works from the IPC Photo Lab will be on display in the gallery.
All the flamingoes, half the price
Flamingo Gardens in Davie is offering half-price admission Saturday for its "Back 2 School Bash." The event will feature a bounce house, petting zoo and music, as well as the 3,000 tropical plants and trees and the 83 native species in the Everglades Wildlife Sanctuary that are there all the time.
Free 'Play Day' at the Deering Estate
Saturday is one of the free "Play Days" this summer at the Deering Estate at Cutler, with free admission and special hands-on eco-art activities, science discovery programs, historic house tours and a chance to visit the Artist Village. There will be a free yoga class at 10:30 a.m. and excerpts from "Romeo and Juliet" performed at 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Free 'Skyfall' film under the skies
Brickell World Plaza will show a free film, "Skyfall," with Daniel Craig as James Bond in the 23rd film in the series, at 8 p.m. Friday as part of its free monthly Movies on the Plaza series. Chairs are provided, and there is free parking in the surface lots. You can bring your own popcorn and soda, but no glass or bottles.
Tropical foliage in the tropical weather
Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden is celebrating its 75th birthday this year with entry discounted to $7.50 every Sunday in August. The entry fee includes the tram tour and the chance to see 83 acres of tropical palms, cycads and flowering trees.
Looking for fun with kids on this last weekend before most of them go back to school? Check out our list of 20 free and cheap things for Miami-Dade kids to do this summer. To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter or the daily Fort Lauderdale on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
See and Do
- Accessible Art: Caribbean-centric exhibition by Haitian artist, Locust Projects wins first NEA grant, and is the Museum of Art Fort Lauderdale expanding?
- Munchkin Fun's 22 fun things to do with the kids Dec 16-21
- 'We Will Rock You' is a guilty pleasure for Queen fans
- Cheech and Chong perform this Sunday at the Hard Rock Live
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Dec. 13-15
- 'Making God Laugh' mines sobering truths
- Found Footage Festival keeps videotape alive
- ‘We Will Rock You’ is built on Queen’s flamboyant rock music
- Accessible Art: Art Basel sets attendance record, color in time and space with Carlos Cruz-Diez, and the Bakehouse Art Complex builds first public metal-casting foundry
- Munchkin Fun's 22 fun things to do with the kids Dec 9-14