Free and cheap things to do in Miami - April 26-28
Miami on the Cheap gives you the scoop on the best ways to stay entertained without going broke this weekend.
The winter season may be waning, but the list of free and cheap things to do isn't. This weekend brings free fun for sports fans, movie lovers and those who want to hear good music.
National Poetry Month is in its last week, with free events as part of the O, Miami poetry festival. It's also the last week of Miami Golf Month, with special deals at local courses.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
Here are Miami on the Cheap’s top picks for free and cheap weekend fun April 26-28.
Free outdoor movies
The opportunities for outdoor movies run the gamut from action to romantic comedy. You can see "Men in Black" at 8 p.m. Friday at the North Shore Park Bandshell in Miami Beach. On Saturday night at 8, the Coral Gables Museum hosts a free screening of "Roman Holiday." Come early and hear a free piano recital at 7 p.m.
Hear a story, tell a story
The free International Art of Storytelling Family Festival runs all day Saturday at the Miami-Dade Main Library in downtown Miami. It starts with a character parade at 10 a.m., with kids invited to dress as their favorite storybook character. Some of Miami's best spinners of tales will share their stories throughout the day on multiple stages, and there will also be lots of family-friendly entertainment.
Fin Fest for Fans
The free Miami Dolphins Fin Fest, with family activities and a chance to meet and greet players and get autographs is 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon at Sun Life Stadium. If you register ahead of time, you'll get a free gift with the new Dolphins logo. The Dolphins also have a free draft party Thursday night.
Outdoor jazz and free art
Friday night is the monthly free Jazz at Moca event at the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami. Troy Roberts will take the stage at 8 p.m. The museum is open by donation from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
New World Symphony meets the wall
Saturday night, grab a blanket and a picnic and hear the New World Symphony play "The Mahler Legacy: 4" from the lawn of the Miami Beach Soundstage. Concessions are available for purchase. The program begins at 8 p.m., but the picnic starts earlier.
See and Do
- Discover Miami's Historic MiMo District on Biscayne Boulevard
- Little Haiti's galleries, shops and bars
- Discover Miami's Little Haiti neighbhorhood
- He was told as a boy he'd have to go to a deaf school—but he grew up to help make the music to Hamilton
- Las Olas Art Fair takes over the streets of Fort Lauderdale this weekend
- Coral Gables Hispanic Cultural Festival takes over the streets of City Beautiful
- 5 reasons you should check out the Mammography Art Initiative in Wynwood this weekend
- 7 free and cheap events in Miami this weekend - Oct. 21-23
- Miami's cultural itinerary courtesy of Prism Creative Group - Oct. 16-31
- Find your happy place at the Modern Life Mindfulness Festival