Free and cheap things to do in Miami - April 19-21
Miami on the Cheap has some tips on where to go this weekend without breaking the bank.
This weekend brings Earth Day, and the good news for cheapskates is that Earth Day festivals are a great opportunity for free and cheap fun. National Poetry Month continues with free events as part of the O, Miami poetry festival. And, Miami Golf Month means special deals at local golf courses.
To keep up with latest news on deals, discounts and free events in South Florida, sign up for the daily Miami on the Cheap newsletter. For more tips on what to do this weekend, read the frequently updated Miami on the Cheap weekend roundup of free and cheap events.
Celebrate earth, culture, music and more
If you’re looking for music, art, food and more in one location, stop by Big Night in Little Haiti on Friday night, the Hope for the Earth festival featuring Grant Livingston and other musicians on Saturday and the Earth Harvest Festival starting at noon Sunday in Homestead.
Free movies under the stars
You have three choices of family-friendly free movies outdoors this weekend, if the weather cooperates: The Goonies Friday night at the North Beach Bandshell in Miami Beach, Star Trek on the plaza in Brickell on Saturday and The Avengers Saturday night on the beach in Bal Harbour.
Fish for the teacher
It’s Totally Teachers weekend at the Miami Seaquarium, which means teachers with valid ID get in free Saturday and Sunday. Each teacher can bring up to four guests at 50% off.
Free music, from gospel to electronic
It’s Free Gospel Sunday at the Adrienne Arsht Center. While the free guaranteed-seating passes were distributed long ago, the standby line forms at 3 p.m., and your chances of getting into the concert are better than you might think. This Sunday’s event features Donald Lawrence with the Miami Mass Choir. The dance band Stokeswood is giving a free concert on the beach Sunday at Lummus Park in Miami Beach, and the Civic Chorale of Greater Miami has a free concert for men and women in uniform Sunday afternoon.
Get your culture on
The Miami Children’s Museum has its regular free third Friday events. For the adults, the Frost Art Museum has a free reception Saturday celebrating the new Spanish Colonial Art exhibition. Every Friday evening is free at the Wolfsonian -FIU with music and café drink specials. If you like to mix exercise with your art (and maybe a little wine) the monthly Bird Road Art Walk is Saturday evening.
See and Do
- Jungle Island plans giant transformation
- Free and cheap things to do in Miami - Sept. 5-7
- Free admission to Jungle Island for South Florida kids through September
- Coral Gables Museum hosts 'The Big One', a collection of Hurricane Andrew photos
- Copperbridge festival of Cuban culture in Miami offers engagement with island artists
- Stage Door explores the songs of the 1960s with ‘What’s New Pussycat?’
- Food to try at Miami Dolphins home games
- Steve Martin and Martin Short bring 'A Very Stupid Conversation' to Hard Rock
- Freebie fun, cake & - Munchkin Fun Miami's top picks for the week
- Festival of Flamenco Song returns to Arsht Center