Four reasons this weekend in Miami will be awesome
Follow @NoireMiami on Twitter and let us know what you're doing this weekend
8/23/2013Congratulations. You made it to the weekend. Bars across the city are busy slicing limes, restocking the shelves and chilling all beer mugs for the happiest hour of the week. It's time to celebrate the fact that you made it to Friday. There were a few touch-and-go moments. Times when your boss almost caught you rolling them eyes and kissing those teeth. There were a few more times when you left for lunch and seriously wondered if you'd find yourself back to the office. You somehow mustered up the courage to return to your desk and crack a few laughs while counting down the clock. Well, now, it's time to toss the timer. It's the weekend.
Miami, as always, won't disappoint. This South Florida city has it all. Starting tonight, The Stage is hosting Maseo and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. The amazing deejays go head to head starting at 10 p.m.The Stage is coining the event as the Hip Hop Battle of the century. Then there's the get-hot-and-steamy event taking place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, where South Florida's hottest firefighters will be coming out to play.
1. Because you are so above this 9-to-5 thingMuseum of Contemporary Art
770 NE 125th St., North Miami
Now till Sept. 8
Dawoud Bey: Picturing People, The Chicago-based photographer's work will be displayed at MOCA. Bey's work has been hailed for his raw and remarkable portraits of African-American subjects. in this show he goes inside America's classroom to study teenagers. Cost $10
2. Because Maseo of the De La Soul crew and Ali Shaheed Muhammad of A Tribe Called Quest will perform at The Stage; buzz about it being "The Hip-Hop Battle of The Century"The Stage Miami
170 Ne 38 St.
Miami, Florida 33137
Music By DJ Heron
Doors Friday, 10pm
General Admission $20
3. Because even little Annie knows that "The sun will come out tomorrow."South Florida Fire Fighters Calendar 2014 weekend
Aug. 24, Saturday
1 Seminole Way, Hollywood, Fl.
6 p.m. - 11 p.m.
4. Because even if you choose to do little to nothing in Miami this weekend, there's really no other place you'd rather be.Finnegan's on the River: Pon di River
5 p.m. - 11 p.m. Sun.
Sunday's at this Miami River restaurant is Miami city-side chill at its best. Live reggae tunes, buffet and boat dock. What more could anyone want? Nearly two dozen flat screen tv's playing sports? They got that, too.
- Miami Soul: Live Jazz Spots Around Miami
- Miami Soul Memorial Day weekend guide: PAMM Memorial Day BBQ, Palm Beach Jerk & Caribbean Culture Festival, and more
- Miami Soul weekend guide: Kinfolks SoulFood Music Festival and other events around South Florida
- Haitian Heritage Cultural Month Celebrations Around South Florida
- Miami Soul weekend guide: RonDayVu Day Party, Taste the Islands, Wireless Headphone Party Experience, and more
- Natural History Museum of Jamaica & Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science Host VIP Reception
- Miami Soul weekend guide: American Friends of Jamaica Charity Gala, Miami Under 40, Flow Fridays & more
- Miami Soul giveaway: 25 Pairs of Passes to Experience INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3
- Miami Soul weekend music guide: Erica Campbell, Shirley Murdock, Sunshine Anderson, African Disco, and more
- Miami Soul: Perez Art Museum Miami Hosts Reception for the Fund for African-American Art