Former David's Cafe II workers protest for back pay
Approximately 30 workers seek upwards of 74k in unpaid wages
For the past few weeks, former employees of the now defunct Lincoln Road staple David's Cafe II have been protesting outside its sibling restaurant on Collins, claiming alleged wage theft. According to a source, "These workers are owed about 20 weeks of wages and many have worthless checks that were given to them by the owners in an insulting attempt to "pay" them before David's Cafe II closed in late July."
The workers--approximately 30--say they are owed about $74,000, a sum that the Department of Labor has acknowledged, but is unable to help recoup. "Limited resources prevented [the Department of Labor] from pursuing the case," says the source. "The workers have now filed wage theft claims through Miami-Dade County's wage theft program and an investigation into David's Cafe's has begun."
The workers were planning on protesting again at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
According to the source, "The owners have admitted they owe the workers and even provided workers with printouts from a payroll database showing the amounts owed to each person a couple of weeks ago when workers showed up as a group at the restaurant," but still haven't paid. "Owner Adrian Gonzalez complains about greed but it is his and his family's greed that has resulted in many workers and their families suffering."
Gonzalez didn't reply to our requests for comment.
- Now open: Coconut Grove's Spasso--"Simple, honest, brutal food"
- Food Network UK star Andy Bates brings "refined British pub food" to A&E District with 3-day pop up
- Blair Wilson, Mike Isabella, Jennifer Carroll, George Pagnois headline Surfcomber food fest
- The Bridge Cocktail Bar's December takeover of The Local Craft Food & Drink
- Kevin Cory transforms NAOE sibling into N Shabu Shabu
- Alinea in Residence comes to Miami: Chef Grant Achatz to pop up at Faena Miami Beach
- Former Miami restaurant owner Joshua Woodward pleaded no contest Friday to attempted murder for trying to induce a miscarriage
- Jose Garces planning Miami restaurant
- Update: CANCELED Brooklyn's Pies 'n' Thighs pops up at the Mondrian
- Restaurant Michael Schwartz is out at the Raleigh Hotel on South Beach