A Fork in the Road: Lynn’s Bahamian Kitchen
Conch, conch & more conch at this family-run Broward favorite
Lynn’s Bahamian Kitchen
4924 Pembroke Rd., West Park
Hours: 11am-9pm Wednesday-Friday, 8am-9pm. Saturday, 8am-4pm Sunday
Prices: Breakfast $11, snacks $5-$13, dinners $8-$18, sides $2, desserts $2-$6.
Hard work and good food run in the Dorsett family. They run Lynn’s Bahamian Kitchen in West Park, where a video plays island scenes to the syncopated rhythms of goombay (from the African drum gombey).
Conch is served cracked -- scored, battered and fried -- and "bruised'' -- stewed in brown sauce or steamed in red gravy -- and there are also conch salad and fritters. All together 150 pounds of the mollusk meat is used over a weekend. The conch is fresh frozen in the Bahamas and never held more than a month.
The patriarch, Thomas Dorsett, hangs out in the 4-month-old space decorated with a few junkanoo headpieces. Sons Tony, Bernard and Mark help run Lynn’s with their wives in memory of their mother Lynn, who died 10 years ago. All have day jobs but come in after work and on weekends to help. Grandsons Travis and Deshaun also pitch in.
Fill your belly in the morning and satisfy your soul with boil’ fish, a bowl of soup anchored by a grouper steak in light broth sparked with lime juice, bell peppers and thin potato slices accompanied by a slab of johnnycake (a lighter-crumbed cousin to corn bread) and grits. "Snacks'' make a meal, accompanied by fries or salad and goombay punch (pineapple soda). Chicken-in-a-bag brings a joint of crispy fried chicken. Crack lobster is a take on the conch version made with spiny "crawfish."
Dinners range from stewed oxtail to conch and rice with a choice of two sides (slaw, potato salad, green beans, sweet corn). A fried seafood platter brims with shrimp, snapper and conch served with peas 'n’ rice. Souse is a sort of soup made with chicken, pork feet or beef tongue and veggies, said to be revitalizing. Guava duff is a take on English plum pudding, with the duff, or dough, steamed jellyroll-style with guava paste and served in brandy-spiked hard sauce. Lynn’s recipes live on, cooked with love.
- Miami's Momi doubles down with downtown dumpling den
- Restaurant-season slowdown hits Miami
- Crust Pizza evolves into Crust Restaurant, opening this month in Miami
- Munch, munch, pass: 4/20 dinner sparks up at Eating House in Coral Gables
- 'Top Chef' alum Spike Mendelsohn to open Sunny's at The Hall hotel in South Beach
- The List: Miami's 10 best bites with chef Diego Oka of La Mar
- Zuma's sibling Coya swaggers into Brickell
- Quality Meats stays true to name in Miami Beach
- Bánh mì and bubble tea are on the menu at 545 Degree Café in Davie
- Porfirio's closes in South Beach, Señor Frog's opening delayed