A Fork on the Road: First & First Southern Baking Co.
First & First sandwiches & Sweets in Downtown Miami
Skull-shaped cakes with buttercream petals, spider-topped cupcakes and lollipops decorated with vampire bats await Halloween revelers at First & First, a bakery-café on Northeast First Avenue at First Street in downtown Miami. Owner Ray Hicks opened his place in June with the motto "stressed spelled backward is desserts."
There's a long, narrow bar up front (the TV is kept tuned to the Food Network) and tables in back where you can enjoy a cozy meal. Hicks was raised in Charleston, W. Va., by a hardworking mother of Cherokee descent (his Irish father died when he was 2). He loved family picnics and Sunday dinners with his grandmothers. He came to Miami when he was 18 for a job with data-systems business, but found his true calling after he was laid off a decade later. He went to work as an assistant to a woman who supplied desserts for holiday parties, and soon was expressing his creativity in the kitchen. (A mojito-flavored cake with rum and mint was one hit.)
Hicks does much of the baking at First & First, and has taught Cuban-American chef Michael Consuegra to cook Southern-style. Begin the day with potato pancakes with apple butter and sour cream, grits and eggs or blackberry waffles. Sandwiches include chicken salad with celery, pineapple, raisins and pecans; grilled cheese with fried green tomatoes and bacon and the vegetarian with eggplant, mushrooms, peppers and cheese. Chicken chunks in a creamy mushroom gravy are topped with corn bread stuffing in a homey casserole that's served with cranberry relish. Main dishes come with your choice of pickled beets, coleslaw, corn bread, mashed sweet potatoes and a dozen other sides. Desserts include red velvet cupcakes, lemon bars, peanut butter fudge, coconut cream pie and warm bread pudding made with Krispy Creme doughnuts served a la mode. Suck down a toasted marshmallow shake or succumb to dark triple-layered chocolate cake at a place that is all treats.
First & First Southern Baking Co.
109 NE First Ave, Miami
Hours: 8am-5:30pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 8am-8pm Tuesday and Friday, 10am-3pm Saturday
Prices: Breakfast $1.75-$5.25, lunch $4.75-$10.95, sides $2.25, desserts $4-$6.25
FYI: Parking $1 for four hours in nearby county lots
- Not even a dead body got people out of line for cronuts in New York
- Look like a celebrity and get free food
- A barbecued grilled cheese with Heat -- Miami Heat, that is
- Here's why you should call Dolores ... Miami Smokers for the summer
- We ordered free ice cream from UberEATS. Here's what happened
- South of Spice dining event is a luxurious taste of South Beach
- These 9 Miami food and cocktail events are so good we can't pick just one
- Why this chef wants to bring fine dining to Cuba
- Uber will bring you free ice cream Friday
- Miami Chefs Taking Their Talents to Casa de Campo For a Weekend