A Fork on the Road: Desole Metro Pizza Bar in Miami
Rustic-modern pizzeria serves pies by the meter.
Desole Metro Pizza Bar
333 SE Second Ave., Miami
Hours: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. and 6-10:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 6-11 p.m. Sunday by reservation
Prices: Pizza $9-$20, pasta $12.50-$14.50, entrees $14.50-$18, dessert $6
F.Y.I.: Wine and beer available
Desole Metro Pizza Bar offers pizzas and pasta specials that import the spirit of Italy to Miami in a rustic-modern space.
Watch a pizzaioli slapping dough in a cloud of flour at the counter or sit outside. There are also salads, steaks and seafood.
Owner Paolo Desole grew up in Switzerland, the son of emigrants from Sardinia, and learned to cook from his mother. He worked his way up to manager in Swiss hotels then as a currency trader. The tatted bodybuilder met his Venezuelan wife in Zurich and moved to Miami a few years ago when their daughter joined the Miami City Ballet. He opened the restaurant two months ago with the help of Argentine-Italian friends.
You can get pizza by the metro (meter) of your choice from 16 to 40 inches. Choose from the Margherita with anchovies enhancing the basic tomato, basil and mozzarella pie, or the La Delizia with walnuts, Gorgonzola and bacon. There’s also pizza with mozzarella and salmon and ones that add on eggplant, olives, artichokes, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms or ham.
Daily pastas include creamy fettuccine with mushrooms, ricotta ravioli in Bolognese sauce and spaghetti frutti di mare with shrimp, squid, octopus, clams and mussels bathed in tomato sauce. All tables are brought a paper bag with herb-sprinkled flatbread charred from the wood-fired oven.
Walk out happy after a Nutella and coconut pie.
- Freshii: Fast food that's healthy and tastes good
- Via Emilia 9 leads food path to Italy from Miami Beach
- Comfort-food goodness oozes from the Daily Melt in Miami
- Indian caterer Tasty Kerala cooks feasts from Fort Lauderdale kitchen
- Now that's a Good Pie: Davie bakery does sweet and savory
- Manna from heaven falls in Lauderhill
- North African dishes cap exotic menu at Fez
- Smooshies candy store opens in Key Biscayne
- South Miami's Buns & Buns is nuts about dough
- Chez Bon Bon sweetens and caffeinates at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach