A Fork on the Road: Desole Metro Pizza Bar in Miami
Rustic-modern pizzeria serves pies by the meter.
Desole Metro Pizza Bar
333 SE Second Ave., Miami
Hours: 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. and 6-10:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 6-11 p.m. Sunday by reservation
Prices: Pizza $9-$20, pasta $12.50-$14.50, entrees $14.50-$18, dessert $6
F.Y.I.: Wine and beer available
Desole Metro Pizza Bar offers pizzas and pasta specials that import the spirit of Italy to Miami in a rustic-modern space.
Watch a pizzaioli slapping dough in a cloud of flour at the counter or sit outside. There are also salads, steaks and seafood.
Owner Paolo Desole grew up in Switzerland, the son of emigrants from Sardinia, and learned to cook from his mother. He worked his way up to manager in Swiss hotels then as a currency trader. The tatted bodybuilder met his Venezuelan wife in Zurich and moved to Miami a few years ago when their daughter joined the Miami City Ballet. He opened the restaurant two months ago with the help of Argentine-Italian friends.
You can get pizza by the metro (meter) of your choice from 16 to 40 inches. Choose from the Margherita with anchovies enhancing the basic tomato, basil and mozzarella pie, or the La Delizia with walnuts, Gorgonzola and bacon. There’s also pizza with mozzarella and salmon and ones that add on eggplant, olives, artichokes, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms or ham.
Daily pastas include creamy fettuccine with mushrooms, ricotta ravioli in Bolognese sauce and spaghetti frutti di mare with shrimp, squid, octopus, clams and mussels bathed in tomato sauce. All tables are brought a paper bag with herb-sprinkled flatbread charred from the wood-fired oven.
Walk out happy after a Nutella and coconut pie.
- Eat the best of the wurst at Bavaria Haus in Bayside Marketplace
- The Annex in Wynwood is a specialist in comforting bites, beer and brunch
- Be 'amaized' by these arepas in Doral
- La Gamba is a Spanish jewel in the heart of Coconut Grove
- Rosinella owners open Sunset Juice Café in SoBe
- Settle into island time at Calypso Raw Bar in Pompano Beach
- Bold & cold: Tio Gazpacho bottles the good stuff
- Be thankful for Grateful Bread bakery-café in North Miami
- The Seven Dials dials in its gastropub fare in Coral Gables
- Get a taste of Caribbean food at Ivan's Gastro in North Miami Beach