A Fork on the Road: Choices Vegan Cafe in Miami
A juice bar and a menu of meatless options make Choices a winner.
Choices Vegan Café
646 NE 79th St., Shorecrest
Hours: 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Prices: Appetizers $10, soups $8, salads $8-$22, sandwiches $10-$16, smoothies and juices $8-$12
In a sign of the times, a small vegan café has opened a larger outpost, offering meatless burgers, wraps, soups and salads.
Choices Café doubles as a juice bar with cold-pressed fruit and vegetable juices and innovative smoothies such as the Miami Heat with mango, jalapeño, lime, plantain, ground flax and chia seeds and agave.
Owner Alex Cuevas works as a software engineer, dividing his time between Manhattan and Miami to fund his passion for healthy eating. He was born in Mexico and grew up in San Jose, Calif., where he and his brother Jorge, a partner, embraced the vegan lifestyle 20 years ago and brought it south.
On a recent visit, soup of the day was raw carrot-miso. Salads range from the Aztec Sun with a crispy lentil-beet patty on greens with avocado and pesto-chile sauce to quinoa with black beans, cilantro and pico de gallo.
Griddled wraps can be stuffed with pâtés made from lentils, garbanzos or spiced walnuts with additions of nopal cactus strips, tempeh, tofu, soy chorizo or daiya “cheese” with sprouts, avocado and veggies. “Sushi” has the same fillers but is rolled in nori seaweed and cut into slices.
"Burgers" on sprouted Ezekiel buns include lentil-pea patties, lemony chickpea “tuna” and grilled portabella, that can be accompanied with baked sweet potato “fries.” Finish with pumpkin cheesecake with date-pecan crust or raw cashew bites with coconut. It is good to eat this good.
- Cay Café’s changing menu presents a stylish lunch option at DCOTA
- Worship fresh seafood and steak at Surf & Turf in Brickell
- Sound the alarm for Fireman Derek's Pies in Wynwood
- Telva Bakery, Viva Mexico offer sweet cakes and savory tacos in Miami
- La Mancha's munchies are Portuguese and Brazilian in downtown Miami
- Cake Thai Kitchen in Miami specializes in Bangkok-style street food
- Norman Love Confections sweetens Valentine’s Day
- Father-son team retools Barley near Dadeland Mall
- Italian-food traditions radiate from Luna Capresse in North Miami
- Lyon Freres food market is reborn in Miami Beach