A Fork on the Road: Choices Vegan Cafe in Miami
A juice bar and a menu of meatless options make Choices a winner.
In a sign of the times, a small vegan café has opened a larger outpost, offering meatless burgers, wraps, soups and salads.
Choices Café doubles as a juice bar with cold-pressed fruit and vegetable juices and innovative smoothies such as the Miami Heat with mango, jalapeño, lime, plantain, ground flax and chia seeds and agave.
Owner Alex Cuevas works as a software engineer, dividing his time between Manhattan and Miami to fund his passion for healthy eating. He was born in Mexico and grew up in San Jose, Calif., where he and his brother Jorge, a partner, embraced the vegan lifestyle 20 years ago and brought it south.
On a recent visit, soup of the day was raw carrot-miso. Salads range from the Aztec Sun with a crispy lentil-beet patty on greens with avocado and pesto-chile sauce to quinoa with black beans, cilantro and pico de gallo.
Griddled wraps can be stuffed with pâtés made from lentils, garbanzos or spiced walnuts with additions of nopal cactus strips, tempeh, tofu, soy chorizo or daiya “cheese” with sprouts, avocado and veggies. “Sushi” has the same fillers but is rolled in nori seaweed and cut into slices.
"Burgers" on sprouted Ezekiel buns include lentil-pea patties, lemony chickpea “tuna” and grilled portabella, that can be accompanied with baked sweet potato “fries.” Finish with pumpkin cheesecake with date-pecan crust or raw cashew bites with coconut. It is good to eat this good.
Choices Vegan Café
646 NE 79th St., Shorecrest
Hours: 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
Prices: Appetizers $10, soups $8, salads $8-$22, sandwiches $10-$16, smoothies and juices $8-$12
- Smooshies candy store opens in Key Biscayne
- Comfort-food goodness oozes from the Daily Melt in Miami
- Edible art is enticing at Perez Art Museum Miami's Verde
- Zak the Baker's new bakery rises in Wynwood
- Freddo scoops out Argentine treats
- Little Bread serves Cuban sandwiches with a twist in Little Havana
- La Mancha's munchies are Portuguese and Brazilian in downtown Miami
- Cay Café’s changing menu presents a stylish lunch option at DCOTA
- Midtown Oyster Bar brings more than oysters
- Get fresh pastas and other tastes of Italy at Limoncello Restaurant in Aventura